• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Signlab problem

Dave Anderton

Hi,
I'm new to this site and still finding my way around, so please forgive me if I've posted in the wrong place. My field is more IT. I'm looking after a colleague's signlab and Roland setup for him and a couple of days ago his signlab installation started with a weird problem. He can open a file, but he can't save any changes. He gets a "can't create backup file, do you want to continue" type message first, followed by an error "...discio 4083" next and has to cancel the save. However, he can perform a "Save As" operation, creating a new file in the process. Anyone any ideas as to what error 4083 might be? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dave

Attila Nagy

Did you install Signlab to C:\Program files, or to C:\ CADlink folder? What version of signLab and OS it is? It seems you have no write permission. Try to run Signlab as Admin. Does it make any difference?

gabagoo

Those backup files come in handy every once in a while but if it can't make one does it still save the new file?

Dave Anderton

Hi,
I'm new to this site and still finding my way around, so please forgive me if I've posted in the wrong place. My field is more IT. I'm looking after a colleague's signlab and Roland setup for him and a couple of days ago his signlab installation started with a weird problem. He can open a file, but he can't save any changes. He gets a "can't create backup file, do you want to continue" type message first, followed by an error "...discio 4083" next and has to cancel the save. However, he can perform a "Save As" operation, creating a new file in the process. Anyone any ideas as to what error 4083 might be? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dave

Dave Anderton

Hi. Sorry about that. Hit the post button accidentally! OS is Windows 10. I don't know where it's installed as I didn't originally install it. Apparently the system was working fine and this problem occurred in the last few days (signlab was installed some months ago).
I can find out the details for tomorrow and will post then. I just get called in when the company has a problem and this is an error I've not seen before. Could you tell me the meaning of the message please? Just for future reference. Also, we tried to run as admin and the result was the same, and using "save as" works perfectly, but if the new file is opened and altered, the "save" option throws the error again and won't save.

Thanks for your assistance.

Dave

Neil

I see this discio error when I open a really old file, then try to save it again. It opens the Save as dialog with the file name hilighted.
I just delete the file from the list, then press save and it saves it again as the right name.

d fleming

Until you figure it out save all changes to existing files and new files using save as feature to exterior storage to be safe.

Dave Anderton

Confirm the security key is plugged in. USB jump drive looking device.
Hi. I'll get the chap to check that tomorrow. But surely if it's not plugged in then "Save As" wouldn't work either would it? As I said in the post, that works, but "Save" on its own doesn't.

Thanks anyway.

Dave

Dave Anderton

If you re-open one of these documents that was "saved as", can it then be normally saved? Or is this every single file?

No my friend.

We can do the "Save As" and give any file a new name. That saves the file perfectly. We then open the new file, alter it if necessary and then try to save it. At that point "Save" on its own throws the error and doesn't work.

Dave

Dave Anderton

No my friend.

We can do the "Save As" and give any file a new name. That saves the file perfectly. We then open the new file, alter it if necessary and then try to save it. At that point "Save" on its own throws the error and doesn't work.

Dave

.... And I've just been informed that it's on every file, do that rules out it just being a corrupt file...

Cheers

Dave

Dave Anderton

Hi people.

Going to end this now, but thought it might be useful to post this morning's events in case anyone has the same problem in future.
We never did find out what was wrong, and tried everything from changing permissions to saving in a new location without success.

This morning I went to uninstall, and was given the option of repairing. This didn't work either so eventually uninstalled, deleted the signlab folder, recreated said folder in a different location and installed to that. Signlab is now behaving itself perfectly and the save option is now fully functional.

So to recap:

Changed permissions.
Updated Windows.
Cleared all caches and temporary files.
Moved single to different location. (That was fun!)
Myriad of tests and restarts of Windows.
Repair of signlab.
Finally full reinstallation!

Just want to say thanks to everyone who helped with this. It's certainly one of the weirdest problems I've ever come across.

Thankyou.
Update of signlab