• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Signs 101 Family...HELP

skyhigh

OK I have a dilema, and my wife is sick to death of hearing about it. I need to invest some money into the business, and here are my choices.
Somewhat like flipping a coin, I have decided to invest in whatever you all decide I should have.... :)Big Laugh if its what I want the most.)

1) 48" valuejet with laminator and cutter package
2) shopbot router table (5' x 8')
3) Case skidsteer (newer)
4) New GMC crew cab (4 full doors)

The truck will require me to trade in my Ford Expedition to arrive at a comparable price, but its sharp....very sharp.

help please.

ps. I had suggested a 5th choice of "All the above", but the wife didn't like that one much.:Big Laugh

S

Stan B

#1 in your list is the digital printer. So I'm assuming you don't have one. I think that these days in most cases digital printer will make you more money faster than other items on your list. You may have a very good luck with the router too but in my view it will take much more effort to accomplish. I would choose the easier and for sure - that is printer - PRINT-N-CUT all in one ONLY! I would never look into big $ brand new package. May find used Roland (w/newest inks) for about $6-8k (that will be a worry free workhorse for a loooong time) if you'll look around wisely .

Ken

OK Skyhigh..you say you want to invest $ in your business...
How does a skidsteer or crewcab fit into that equation?
I don't know your situation. Perhaps you like moving dirt or snow or people.
Darn near any vehicle can tow a utility trailer for cargo.
If you don't have a print/cut/lam system..that is the way to go.
The Shopbot will give you diversification, but what is the market for that product in your trading area? Are other shops already doing this? You could out-source.
The best investment is in people. And YOU are at the top of that list!
Kind regards...Ken

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like you need a new wife !! LOL

Only kidding, only kidding. Just buy it all and tell her you love her, buy her a diamond and get her a new BMW. Promise to clean the house every week for the next four years with a year option at the end. Take her out for dinner three times a week and you cook three and get Chinese one night. And don't forget to tell how much you like her parents.

If this doesn't work.... BEG... and mean it. They like meaningful pleading.

Bigdawg

Just Me

Yes we do :smile:

As far as the list goes, I would lean toward the digital printing. We are doing less and less cut vinyl and I don't even have a digital printer... it's just cost effective to farm it out. If the print market around you is already saturated... shopbot all the way... As a wife I can tell you the truck would probably be the hardest to justify as a "But honey, I NEED it for business" kind of expense.

skyhigh

Just buy it all and tell her you love her, buy her a diamond and get her a new BMW. Promise to clean the house every week for the next four years with a year option at the end. Take her out for dinner three times a week and you cook three and get Chinese one night. And don't forget to tell how much you like her parents.

Well thanks for the advice Gino, but we've been together long enough, she's "onto" my shallow promises (cleaning the house that is). As far as the diamond, and dinner 3 times a week, I'm still paying off past debts (I'd have to start doing lunches too.)

As for the BMW.... she wants the GMC Denali. (my kinda girl :wink: )

ps. I took your advice and told her how fond I've grown of her mother....she still laughing.:Big Laugh

mladams7259

GO with the Printer system or the shopbot. As BigDawg said, I would go for the Printer setup unless your area is flooded with them already.

skyhigh

As a wife I can tell you the truck would probably be the hardest to justify as a "But honey, I NEED it for business" kind of expense.

Stacy, the line goes..... "But honey, I NEED the truck (with the towing package) to pull the trailer with the skidsteer.:Big Laugh

GregT

Skyhigh, from talking to you the little bit that I have, I would say the 48" valuejet with laminator and cutter package. As much as I have enjoyed talking to you, I would still go that way. The shopbot could be next years toy:)
Greg

Hollywood

Well I would have to say the GMC from my point that is. I don't know what your vehicle is now, or how old and what shape it is in. If your dumping money in it in repairs once a month, than that would be justified. Myself, I think I would maybe do the shopbot, but that decause I have a digital printer, a borrow one of my good cust. bobcats, and I own a GMC Dually. Yea, and forget the overseas BMW, my girl wants a Tahoe Z71 (SWWEEEETT). But that is just my take.

skyhigh

Poll so far:

3 votes Shopbot
6 votes Printer
1 vote Truck
2 votes Printer OR Shopbot
1 vote (Gino) for all

Derf

I would say it depends on what way you want to take your business.

If your going to be doing a lot of channel letters or interior architectural signage and you do not have a good local wholesaler for routing then get the shopbot

If you do not have a good whole sale printer then get a printer.

I would start with the printer because the return on the investment is quicker and if marked correctly it should pay for it self with in a year or two. then you can buy the shopbot.

My printer is so backed up I'm looking for for a sweet deal to come along so I can buy a second one.

My vote would be a printer!