• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sintra exterior sign

noack214

I have a customer that ordered an exterior sign made of Sintra material (.25"). They want to attach it to a brick wall using masonry screws. Does this seem feasible?

joeshaul

I seem to recall Sintra as not being outdoor friendly, so I wouldn't promise any kind of a life on it. Believe it expands and contracts a lot.

Might want to check with Alcan before you make it!

J Hill Designs

feasible but not recommended - it will expand/contract a bit - oversize holes for fasteners and hand-tightened fasteners will help it expand w/o warping

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Yes... not the prime choice in material, it does work.

I would not use Sintra/PVC on a post at any thickness, but the thicker Sintra (like 1/4") on a wall not getting beat by 100 degree weather constantly, will work.

daveb

General Know-it-all
We've alway had better luck shooting Matthews on both sides, PVC seems to want to "cup" toward the sunny side, paint on both sides (and edges) seems to prevent this for some reason. :thumb:on the oversized holes, and be sure not to tighten down the screws too much, defeats the purpose of the oversized holes if it can't move a little.:Big Laugh

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Asking manufacturers and some suppliers will always tell you it won't rot, it won't fade or whatever else they want to tell you, but the truth of the matter is.... you don't want to know how a material itself holds up against the elements, but if its outdoor durable in the fashion that you intend to use it and for the most part..... no plastic/PVC type materials are good for outdoor applications other than in a cabinet fixture where they are not confined by a few screws or fasteners and can move in all directions comfortably in any temperatures without busting out screws.

Our experience has been, once you get into the 1/2 or thicker sizes, you might have a chance, but again, it's all dependent on the severity of your climate and your application vs. how long the customer expects it to last.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
I have a customer that ordered an exterior sign made of Sintra material (.25"). They want to attach it to a brick wall using masonry screws. Does this seem feasible?

Bad idea. It tends to cup in the sunlight and shatters easily in the cold. It also fades rather quickly and gets more brittle with time.