• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Skateboard Heat Transfer Material

I don't know if you saw the version of my message with the test images attached, but you may want to look at my message again.

I presently have a GBC slot laminator that has heat assist, so once the roll comes in, I will try that too.

I remain grateful for your comments/help.

May I know your name, which I will keep in confidence if asked?
Sweet!

My name is Preston. No need for confidence!

bteifeld

Substratia Consulting,Printing,Ergosoft Reseller
Thank you. It's amazing to be able to communicate with you- as I now know you are of the company
that is named for the messy splotch of milk producer of certain kinds of cheeses. ;-)

Thank you again. I'll show you what things look like after I make some with this process.

Retro Graphics

the vinyl on the bottom of the boards also makes it not conducive to sliding/grinding and will pretty much tear and rip off on the first deck slide.

Mr. Signboy

It's not dye sub. You'll also not be able to produce them at a price that's competitive to the china import model they all use. Trust me, I've been in the skateboard industry for 11+ years. Run, run fast from that.
I have no interest in trying to compete with China in any market. We certainly can’t match China’s price and volume with grip tape printing, or honestly most of the services we provide, yet still manage to sell quite a bit to very large companies that still prefer to buy from someone in the US. I prefer to work with customers that value more than just the cheapest price, because that definitely isn’t what I’m providing. I’m sure you know a lot about the skateboard industry and I appreciate the business advice, but I really just had a technical question about materials.

I have no interest in trying to compete with China in any market. We certainly can’t match China’s price and volume with grip tape printing, or honestly most of the services we provide, yet still manage to sell quite a bit to very large companies that still prefer to buy from someone in the US. I prefer to work with customers that value more than just the cheapest price, because that definitely isn’t what I’m providing. I’m sure you know a lot about the skateboard industry and I appreciate the business advice, but I really just had a technical question about materials.
Love to hear it!

APCInk

Merchant Member
I believe that we may have what you’re looking for. We have a film that is used with UV flatbed printers and essentially makes a UV Ink Transfer with a self-weeding adhesive. So far we’ve tested just on tumblers, pint glasses and other objects that are difficult to jig and print on directly. We have not tested on skateboard decks yet, but this is certainly on our testing list. We believe that the durability will be comparable to a screen print.

I believe that we may have what you’re looking for. We have a film that is used with UV flatbed printers and essentially makes a UV Ink Transfer with a self-weeding adhesive. So far we’ve tested just on tumblers, pint glasses and other objects that are difficult to jig and print on directly. We have not tested on skateboard decks yet, but this is certainly on our testing list. We believe that the durability will be comparable to a screen print.
The A/B sheet model would work fine for top of board prints, but the structure of how it’s all made wouldn’t be a my choice for a skateboard. Adhesives fail - bonds don’t. It would work, but it wouldn’t be a comparable. And not to mention the cost to produce, woof.

Mr. Signboy

Sounds interesting, but I’m not sure it’s the right thing for this application. BigDogPrinterMan is correct, the time/cost to make these on a flat bed would be significant. I’d love to check it out though.

Sounds interesting, but I’m not sure it’s the right thing for this application. BigDogPrinterMan is correct, the time/cost to make these on a flat bed would be significant. I’d love to check it out though.
The carrier film is so thin, and the adhesive is so bitey, that id be afraid to apply it to a 8.5x32.5 surface, even with wet apply. The surface area and curvature of a skateboard makes it such a mistake risk.

As far as I’m aware, you have to be setup with clear and white for these, so you’re talking A/B sheet cost, full flood clear, your color graphic, full flood white, lamination of A&B sheet, and hand application time. Ink cost alone would be $1.30-$2.30, and the time it takes to run a 3 layer print is another animal.

I love the UV DTF concept, I just don’t see it viable for large items with curvature.