• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Skulls? Used in advertising.

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
I'm with Mosh. With our hydrographics, skull patterns FAR outsell anything else, probably close to 2:1.

Pat Whatley

Pay attention to people wearing Harley Davidson t-shirts, with chains on their wallets, with pet pit bulls, with Tap Out decals, or with 12" lift kits on their trucks. The majority of them are trying to buy a "badass" image.

Flamey has the right idea, you don't have to like it to cash in on it.

TeamOutlaw

Pay attention to people wearing Harley Davidson t-shirts, with chains on their wallets, with pet pit bulls, with Tap Out decals, or with 12" lift kits on their trucks. The majority of them are trying to buy a "badass" image.

Flamey has the right idea, you don't have to like it to cash in on it.

Well Pat...I have been lurking around this site for quite some time learning and absorbing to improve my sign-making abilities.

I happen to own a custom Harley, have many tattoo's, drive a $60,000 Denali pickup with a lift kit! I don't have a Pit Bull, but I do enjoy MMA. I also have a college education (2 degrees), a wife (engineer) of 15+ yrs, 3 beautiful kids and am damn good at my job.

So, I'll admit I was a bit offended by your comment about "buying a badass image"! People personalize their cars & homes...what's wrong with personalizing your body with ink? Maybe those of us whom are tattooed don't want to look like every other person walking down the street and prefer a personalized look for ourselves. I LOVE riding motorcycles in my free time, but I'm not a member of the Hell's Angels. And as for my truck...again, stands out in a crowd. Not like every other black crew cab pickup in town...it turns a TON of heads and looks damn nice. It doesn't have whip antenna's and a confederate flag rear window perf...but it does have TV's, power everything, custom wheels and a motor that will emabaress the crap out of your minivan.

I'm not sure what your PhD is in...but it is obviously not tact.

Alright, I'm done. <end rant>

Pat Whatley

The majority of them are trying to buy a "badass" image.

That.

If it doesn't apply to you then it doesn't apply to you but if you're telling me you don't know exactly what I'm talking about I'd ask you to look around a little more.

...and I don't have a minivan.

Mosh

I happen to own a custom Harley, have many tattoo's, drive a $60,000 Denali pickup with a lift kit!

I bet you are also making payments...I know the type! If you have to borrow the money you can't afford it. I paid for
my Z06 with one payment.

BTW, let's see what the tats look like in ten years...NO WAY to argue that fact they will look like a big blob....
pretend all you want they will still look good, but they won't.

signswi

Tsk tsk you guys need to get out more. You'd be shocked at how many white chick t-shirts I sell with hot pink skulls on em.

Different strokes for different folks. Recognize it, understand it, embrace it, make fat deposits every Friday.

Seriously this trend has to be going on a decade old already. You can tell because threads like this are made.

:ROFLMAO:

Flame

BTW, let's see what the tats look like in ten years...NO WAY to argue that fact they will look like a big blob....
pretend all you want they will still look good, but they won't.

I hear this all the time. Thing is...when we're 70, who really gives a ****? We wanna look good in our prime, so have fun while you can. When you're old who really cares if you have blobs of ink or not, you're already well into looking ugly (no offense to our senior population on here).

signswi

By the time I'm 70 full cybernetic skin replacements will be cheap. :scream:

Of course I have no tattoos but that's because I have way too many style influences to permanently pick one of them. I can't make a Top 5 list of any sort to save my life either. Cultural omnivore.

TeamOutlaw

I bet you are also making payments...I know the type! If you have to borrow the money you can't afford it. I paid for
my Z06 with one payment.

Only thing I make payments on is my home at this point in time, everything else...clear title(s) in-hand. Thanks for assuming though. Good for you on the Z06...beautiful car...would love to own one someday. Notice nobody bashing Corvette owners here! Know a couple vette owners myself that have Harley's & tattoo's too.

SignaramaFL

Well Pat...I have been lurking around this site for quite some time learning and absorbing to improve my sign-making abilities.

I happen to own a custom Harley, have many tattoo's, drive a $60,000 Denali pickup with a lift kit! I don't have a Pit Bull, but I do enjoy MMA. I also have a college education (2 degrees), a wife (engineer) of 15+ yrs, 3 beautiful kids and am damn good at my job.

So, I'll admit I was a bit offended by your comment about "buying a badass image"! People personalize their cars & homes...what's wrong with personalizing your body with ink? Maybe those of us whom are tattooed don't want to look like every other person walking down the street and prefer a personalized look for ourselves. I LOVE riding motorcycles in my free time, but I'm not a member of the Hell's Angels. And as for my truck...again, stands out in a crowd. Not like every other black crew cab pickup in town...it turns a TON of heads and looks damn nice. It doesn't have whip antenna's and a confederate flag rear window perf...but it does have TV's, power everything, custom wheels and a motor that will emabaress the crap out of your minivan.

I'm not sure what your PhD is in...but it is obviously not tact.

Alright, I'm done. <end rant>

+1 for this.

As far as the skulls go, I think if it is done correctly, not cheap/cheesy looking than it is okay, as far as in a logo I have yet to find a logo that actually belongs in a logo.

TeamOutlaw

+1 for this.

As far as the skulls go, I think if it is done correctly, not cheap/cheesy looking than it is okay, as far as in a logo I have yet to find a logo that actually belongs in a logo.

Thanks SignaramaFL.

Here's a logo for a hunting tv show that uses a skull that I think is done well IMO!

bone_collector_logo_2.jpg

imgres

signswi

Here's a nice little article covering the last few years of skulls in fashion:
http://scan.net.au/scan/journal/display.php?journal_id=151

Street fashion though has been using them heavily since the early 2000s, influenced by late 90s American neo-goth, Japanese Gothic Lolita fashion, and Day of the Dead sugar skull related fashion among other major influences (Damien Hirst, Takashi Murakami to name two from the fine art world...).

threeputt

Thanks SignaramaFL.

Here's a logo for a hunting tv show that uses a skull that I think is done well IMO!

bone_collector_logo_2.jpg

imgres

Yep, totally appropriate to the product it's trying to promote and identify.

But, I was specifically talking about the use, or over-use of skulls on just about everything else.

We have a taxidermy client that uses a skull. Of course. It's fitting.

SignManiac

Tsk tsk you guys need to get out more. You'd be shocked at how many white chick t-shirts I sell with hot pink skulls on em.

Different strokes for different folks. Recognize it, understand it, embrace it, make fat deposits every Friday.

Flamey, I like this post and I totally get it. When I was into skydiving, I had a line of skull fashion wear targeted at skydivers. The whole badass, death, dark theme played perfectly well into the sport. Made some good money off of it. You're right about that, different strokes!

WildWestDesigns

Flamey, I like this post and I totally get it. When I was into skydiving, I had a line of skull fashion wear targeted at skydivers. The whole badass, death, dark theme played perfectly well into the sport. Made some good money off of it. You're right about that, different strokes!

PRCA people really go in for it as well.