• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Slow cutting of Tapered Stickers

Goatshaver

I've got some stickers I'm doing kiss cuts of and the design is tapered because of the tube they are going on. For some reason whenever I cut them it runs about half the speed it's set to. It's something I've never encountered before so I'm scratching my head. I can only think that it's because of the taper possibly or the conical label distortion doing something to the cut line. Anyone have experience with this issue?

Attached what the cut lines look like in Onyx.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    43 KB · Views: 201

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It might just have a hard time thinking about going straight, but gradually moving inward/outward. Ever notice how some letters will cut like crazy, then all of a sudden your plotter slows down and does some big curve ?? Kinda the same thing, I guess.

petepaz

is the file line solid or does it have multiple anchor points?. i have tried to cut things like that with a customer supplied file and for what ever reason it had multiple (and when i say multiple i mean like 15-20) anchor points in which case the plotter takes longer to cut that. it some reason reads all those anchor points and it slows the blade down

Goatshaver

It might just have a hard time thinking about going straight, but gradually moving inward/outward. Ever notice how some letters will cut like crazy, then all of a sudden your plotter slows down and does some big curve ?? Kinda the same thing, I guess.
That's what I'm thinking. I'll have to experiment a little.
is the file line solid or does it have multiple anchor points?. i have tried to cut things like that with a customer supplied file and for what ever reason it had multiple (and when i say multiple i mean like 15-20) anchor points in which case the plotter takes longer to cut that. it some reason reads all those anchor points and it slows the blade down
Nope. Only has 2 point at each corner when I looked in Illustrator.

netsol

Yes, the algorhythm just doesn't like what is a trapezoid with radiused corners
Something that optimizes cuts for normal rectangles HATES what you are asking for
Do you have options for different plotter languages? You may find a way to circumvent this