• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Small Sign Business Owners - You still doing ok in these times?

CVGraphics

I didn't know where else to post this but...just wondering how others like myself who run smaller sign outfits are doing.
I realize there are slow times and busy time but overall are you maintaining a good amount of orders or are you finding things seem to be slower than usual?

Stacey K

I like making signs
One person shop here. I'm still busy. If the phone stopped ringing I would have 3 weeks of work to do. I still feel nervous that it could drop off at any time. As soon as I get an order I try and get it moving, invoiced and out the door.

CVGraphics

One person shop here. I'm still busy. If the phone stopped ringing I would have 3 weeks of work to do. I still feel nervous that it could drop off at any time. As soon as I get an order I try and get it moving, invoiced and out the door.
I do a lot of real estate signs (a lot). I was busy last month but this week and last I'm half expecting a tumble weed to roll by.
I've had years where the real estate business kept me busy almost all year.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Still plugging along here. I noticed that the truss plants next door to us have cut the night crew but the boat builders still have a parking lot full of people working. If everything dropped 25% I don't think it would hurt much of anyone. It has been out of control for a while now. Interest rates are low and banks are still handing out money. Banks don't lend money on bad news and they will see things happening before most anyone else will.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
A serious change doesn't mean they are high. They are still historically low and still under where they were during the last housing boom. They really should at least be at the rate of inflation.
If you're 600 lbs and lose 200, you are still fat, it has nothing to do with how much you lost or what you weighed before. Same with interest rates.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Compared to what? Just using any ol' realtor app will estimate your interest rate at 5.5% or more. I bought my house at 3.5%. I'm definitely not a finance guy, so I may be missing something...

I dont think your missing anything. A business loan for me was 3.12% 2 years ago and is now 6.8%. That's a serious change in my opinion
All of this a still incredibly low in comparison to the previous decades prior to the 2009ish Recession.

Back to the topic at hand, things are heating up for us, most of our clients are doubling down now.

bcxprint420

Sign & Banner Xpress
I didn't know where else to post this but...just wondering how others like myself who run smaller sign outfits are doing.
I realize there are slow times and busy time but overall are you maintaining a good amount of orders or are you finding things seem to be slower than usual?
1 man shop here and when things slow down is when i tend to back up with work. This inflation has also got me busy as i really do not have to increase my prices which for the most part i havnt so my customers have been very happy with my holding the line idea. I will have to bump things up once i sell all the foam and vinyl i got from buying a couple shops that were closing. I cannot express enough that life and work life have never been so nice since getting rid of my mortgage and credit card debt. It took some work but i did it so now if i dont have work i am not freaking out like i used to be but there is very little time where there is no work in my shop.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
So, I'm getting, from all of the response... that it depends on.... the customer base and needs, the capabilities, and business management.
Am I reading this correctly?

SignosaurusRex

So, I'm getting, from all of the response... that it depends on.... the customer base and needs, the capabilities, and business management.
Am I reading this correctly?
That seems to be pretty much be the case everywhere and any time. It's generally like a hurricane for me... Three weeks slammed and then a week of normal and then getting slammed. Usually the slow spell is due to delays on the customers part. or sometimes by design. This year it's usually attributed to delays in vehicle deliveries or vendor supply chain issues. This year is certainly a slower year which is definitely a result of a slow down in the economy. I always welcome a bit of slow-down during the summer Car Show season and winter Hunting season.
Proper management(and fitness) of ones business, time and customer base is critical. Position oneself to adjust to market changes. If properly prepared, one will pick up where another fails. "Survival of the Fittest".

caribmike

Retired with a Side Hustle
Its still pretty busy down here in the Caribbean. Our real estate sign business is about the same as last year at this time. But, real estate in the islands doesn't suffer from the same mood swings as the mainland. Prices for homes on my island rarely ever go down. My commercial printing business is down about 13% from last year but some of that is due to the overall decline in printing volumes in general as more people go digital. My promotional products business is ripping good and I attribute that to businesses increasing their marketing post-covid. Overall, we're still putting money in the bank and eating out frequently.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Way too much work for me to handel here. Profits took a hit this year I'm assuming from inflation. A lot of my big projects can take 4-6 months to complete and the rise in costs from time a contract was signed to finial completion really ate my lunch.