• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Smile, if you're old enough to remember...

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Just a friendly reminder that life can be full of wonder and awe without all the latest electronic gadgets. And my 4-year old grandson thinks so, too.

JB

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

James Burke

He and his brothers are home schooled and are quite tech-savvy, but they're only allowed very limited "screen-time". In some ways, they're growing up like I did some 50 years ago...with plenty of outdoor time, bicycles, water hoses, sandbox / dirt piles, bugs and sunshine...and I like that.

However, since they live out in the country, they do seem to enjoy a few "executive privileges" we city kids didn't have. They can often be seen lined up in a row...peeing off the side porch...and waving to cars passing by. Boys will be boys...

JB

Last edited:

James Burke

Those were better than movies! Only the rich kids had those.

True...I think they're enamored with the 3-D visuals, to be honest.

I found the entire lot at a yard sale...only paid round $10. Some of the reels could be considered collector's items, but I'd rather the little guys have fun with them.

JB

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Kids don't need screen time. It's much more fun for them (and me) to go outside, get dirty and use their minds to keep themselves busy.
Shoes are overrated too.

James Burke

Shoes are overrated too.

Ha! It's funny you should mention it. The little guy in the photo above lives and breathes by the same creed!

Seven years ago, I walked his mama down the aisle at her wedding, and she was barefoot as well...in honor of my dad who had passed five months prior. Dad always made fun of her for not liking shoes, and she wanted to honor his memory in a special way. I guess she passed it on to her kiddos.

JB

James Burke

Five minutes of interesting "behind the scenes" info:

Another ten minutes, if you have the time. Today's version has morphed into VR...which essentially defeats the simplistic nature it was so well loved for.

Last edited:

Stacey K

I like making signs
I love it! The Viewmaster is a great toy. And it's awesome that they are enjoying it, and peeing off the porch, good job to grandpa and mom!

James Burke

Did you have all the collections? LOL

I only have just a couple hundred or so...seen in the last photo. I don't know what ever happened to the dozens of reels we had as kids in the 70s.

I find it utterly amazing that all the reels ever made will work with every model of viewer. Unlike today, built-in-obsolescence was not a concept to be trifled with.

JB

JPR-5690

I loved Viewmasters. Honestly still do. I'd trade a 15$ movie ticket for a joint and a Viewmaster any day.

Kinda reminds me of my Tomy Turnin' Turbo I had growing up...

Looking back it makes me laugh that the thing only had 4 gears.
Talk about cutting edge technology.

Attachments

• ekdrv763ymaz.jpg
    ekdrv763ymaz.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 99

jwlllpl

My parents used to open the sets and sort them into our stockings at Christmas. :) I remember the fights my brother and I used to get in to when we both wanted to view the same ones at the same time too.o_O

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
Oh wow look how many he's got! I only had a few dozen as a kid I think. I'm sure they're hanging around in the attic somewhere. I remember bending my favorite Dennis The Menace one by accident.