• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Snipping Tool

jochwat

Graphics Department
Snip tool, Win 10 at daily grind, Win 11 at home office. Used without a second thought. WIN-SHIFT-S has become as natural as CTRL-C. Or CTRL-V in this case, when I paste the result into wherever it needs to go. I almost never have to bother altering the image once it's snipped, as it goes right into the clipboard, waiting to be pasted to its new home. All depends on what you need to do. And yes, while right-clicking and saving a web image is another method that sometimes yields better results, well... I'm not always snipping shit from the web that allows saving an image. Sometimes it's just something on my screen where a 1-second snip gets the job done. Or, back to the web, sometimes an image does not allow the right-click-save option. Tricky devils. But not tricky enough. WIN-SHIFT-S, gimme dat locked image.

FlorenceC

Coffee first. Your problems later.
I've used Gyazo for ages, prior to switching to Win10, so I still make use of it for plain screenshots, both taken off a browser or just to take quick samples from Illustrator or InDesign and paste them in an email or chat. There was a time when I needed to make short video/gif captures and the pro version helps for that too.

spb

✨鞄➕
2. For the Snip tool, in Windows 11 after I copy something the window goes away and I have to click on it again. Is there a setting to keep the window up?
General clipboard tip: if you hit Windows-V instead of Ctrl-V it will bring up "the ghost of clipboard past" where you can select previous clips to paste instead of just the last thing you copied/cut

KC1990

Little PSA here...
Some desktop screenshot programs, specifically the 3rd party ones, have been known to store what you're screenshotting and personal images have been leaked online in the past.

WildWestDesigns

Little PSA here...
Some desktop screenshot programs, specifically the 3rd party ones, have been known to store what you're screenshotting and personal images have been leaked online in the past.
That's a risk with any of them. I believe that even the built in Win 11 Snipping Tool version (although I do believe it has been taken care of, rather or not something else cropped up in it's place is something else) had a bug that allowed even what was cropped out of pictures to be retrieved. I think there was even an issue of account info being able to be retrieved as well.

Given that more and more WAN accounts are desired versus local, that would actually be considered a "perk" nowadays that that stuff is stored on someone else's computer (cloud) to allow for easier backing up.

WildWestDesigns

General clipboard tip: if you hit Windows-V instead of Ctrl-V it will bring up "the ghost of clipboard past" where you can select previous clips to paste instead of just the last thing you copied/cut
One of the many things that I would speculate that they got from KDE, just given how long it has been implemented in one versus the other. It's an awesome feature none the less.

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
IDK guys...I think using the mouse is quicker with the snip tool for quick snips.

Two Questions:

1. I tried the Green thing, is there a way to put it on the tool bar? I do like it but it's an extra step because it's in my hidden icons.

2. For the Snip tool, in Windows 11 after I copy something the window goes away and I have to click on it again. Is there a setting to keep the window up?

I just use the print screen key. It overrides the Windows built in option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk