• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

snow tires...errrrr

Marlene

well, I traded my Cadi as I was sick of paying more for eveything and went with a super common car as I figured things would be cheaper...not!
I now have two ford Fusions. one has normal tires the other has these stupid 225/45/R18 tires. why or why did Ford do that! I thought tires for the Cadi were bad but these things are worse. ever wonder why they make a car that is good on gas, resonably priced and then stick tires on it that cost a ton of cash.

sorry, my rant for the day!

Ken

Yeah. A lot of weird wheel and tire sizes on the newer vehicles. Good luck finding spare rims.
Ken

Locals Find!

Oil is used to make rubber. So the oil companies figure on making up some of the profits lost on you getting better gas mileage by convincing the car manufacturers to put on bigger tires that of course cost more.

You can't win! LOL!

Marlene

it just rots! my daughter also has a Fusion with the 18" tires. I had to buy Nokian Hakkapeliitta for mine and those don't come cheap. what a rip off to go from a Cadi to a Ford and pay more for snow tires than I did for the Cadi. just ticks me off. our other Fusion has 205/60/R16 tires that weren't too bad to buy. It has Cooper winter somethings with studs and they were $550.00 installed.

AUTO-FX

The reason manufacturers are going to larger tires is to increase performance and safety ratings. These taller tires have lower profiles (sidewall height) which provide a stiffer sidewall, while the extra height means you have a larger contact patch on the ground. They buy so many under contract, so it doesnt cost THEM anymore, but yeah, you get killed when it's time to buy some yourself.
Tire purchases at the ford dealership are a good way to go - they have a national campaign to push tire sales, so the prices are competetive. Always check tire prices at Tirerack.com. Even insurance companies reference those guys because they are very competetive in their pricing.

Tony Teveris

The only problem with Tirerack is you can get some really dated tires and you will not know unless you know how to read the codes on the tire. Rubber does "dry out" as it ages.

OldPaint

we had a 1973 mercedes 280C, really sweet car, was bought in new york in 73, drove to sarasota. guy who owned it lived 6 months in new york and 6 months on siesta key. car was in a climate controlled garage all those years and we bought it in 1990. the ties on the car had like new tread.we took a short road trip(65 mph +)and didnt get far till on of the tires popped. got it back to a tire shop they made me a great deal(or so i thought)on 4 brand new MICHELIN TIRES. we took a trip to Tennessee, figuring we would have no tire problems. left sarasota, before we got to OCALA, had the 1st blow out. took it to a michelin tire dealer he replaced that one with new one. headed north. befor we got to valdesta ga. whe had another tire blow out. that was 2 of the socalled "new" tires. we got into valdesta ga. bout 4:30 found a dealer, showed him the blown tire, he tried to tell me i hit something on the road. and i told him put the car on a lift, that one of the other tires was going.........as i drove to the shop. he got it on the lift and the 3rd of the 4 originals.....HAD A BUBBLE on it ready to blow. that one he said the tread had seperated from the casing. then he looked for a date of when the tires was made....AND THESE WAS NEVER TO BE SOLD, as they date was so old.

Marlene

Tire purchases at the ford dealership are a good way to go

I got mine thru the dealer when I bought it last week. Nokian Hakkapeliittas, not the "R" ones, whatever that means but the better ones for $203 each and they installed them for me. that was a pretty good price for Hakkas.

These taller tires have lower profiles (sidewall height) which provide a stiffer sidewall, while the extra height means you have a larger contact patch on the ground.

good point. I was dumb enough to buy the one with the sports package 'cause it was metallic black and in the sun it looks really pretty as the metallic is rainbow flakes. yes, some times I am am a dumb old girl...