• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

So, what exactly happened to Arlon?

SignProPlus-Chip

We got word last week that Arlon is now out of the game and has ceased production of all color change wrap vinyls.

Does anyone here know the scope of what they are dropping product wise? Are they completely done? Will anyone be clearing out product at discount?

Chime in if you have any info.

rjssigns

First I've heard of it. I was under the impression that Arlon partnered with SOTT from Germany for their color change/specialty products.

SignProPlus-Chip

IIRC, just the color change line. Source is reliable.

Fellers also now states the following on their Arlon page:
[h=2]Please note all UPP colors on this page are discontinued and available while supplies last. [/h]

Is this valid information or grapevine hear-say? For all vinyl or just the color change line?

Here is the message they posted.

Arlon is shifting our focus away from the automotive restyling market and towards cast digital wrap films. With this change we will discontinue the production of automotive restyling films.
While we are not planning additional manufacturing of these films, we will continue to sell Ultimate PremiumPlus™ and PerformancePlus while supplies last.

We understand that automotive restyling has a passionate community and that this shift in focus will be difficult. Our goal in refocusing our resources is to improve our presence in the cast digital wrap film market.

Please contact your regional distributor for information on product availability. Thank you for your continued support as we make this transition to better service the wrap community.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Digital print is staying, its the color change thats going away.

Our rep told us they have over 1 Billion dollars in inventory in their warehouse and they aren't gaining any market share against 3M and Avery so they are losing money to compete.

rjssigns

My rep just got back to me. He said the color change products were more PITA than money maker.

He also said the digital print media/laminate program is going strong and won't change.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Color changing with vinyl is dying. Autoflex paints and dips are all the rage now, and little by little people are shying away from the 1 dimensional color changes. With plasti-dip and the new removable paints, they can do what looks EXACTLY like a $5000 paint job for under $2000. Color shifts, pearls, you name it. Arlon is smart to pull out of that game.

K Chez

Their printable vinyl I use all the time and there's no issues, but I used the Arlon color change on a job & it was a nightmare-WAY too aggressive adhesive and brittle film. Re-did the whole job with 3M1080.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
Not a fan of Arlon vinyls. I tried print media years ago. It shrunken and discolored and left glue everywhere. Arlon color change wrap was brittle and came off in tiny tiny pieces. Never again. I am more than happy with 3m and avery.
No hexis nor arlon for me.

Patentagosse

'Got in touch with SOTT's president and he reveales that Arlon have had many quality issues with the UPP line-up. Sad to hear... since they hit the market, I always thought they were offering amazing colors & finish but haven't really used 'em. KPMF are more and more present in magazines for the last few months... Anyone has tryied it yet?

Christian @ 2CT Media

'Got in touch with SOTT's president and he reveales that Arlon have had many quality issues with the UPP line-up. Sad to hear... since they hit the market, I always thought they were offering amazing colors & finish but haven't really used 'em. KPMF are more and more present in magazines for the last few months... Anyone has tryied it yet?

Super aggressive and expensive... Their lams are great though.

ExecuPrintGS

KPMF has some awesome finishes and overlams, the film is really aggressive though, takes some getting used to.

Patentagosse

I have tried their metallic lam over a customer logo on big rig. 'Creates awesome look. I decided to go that way because customer's rig was metallic black and it sparkles a lot under sunlight so 'opted for metallic lam to avoid "ordinary" gloss finish right in the middle of the door... Picture doesn't reflect reality unfortunately (I'll take another one outside soon...)

Attachments

• IMG_5994.jpg
    IMG_5994.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 158

worthy1

Interesting, They pulled out of Australia a few months ago with our rep telling us he heard it was due to UV issues. Thought it was odd but now worldwide.

I doubt colour change wraps will go away or be replaced with dips. Apples and oranges. Have seen dips almost die over here except DIY, People see the finish of it and its lack of durability and stay away. Perfect case of people not doing it right driving interest away.