• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

So.............................................................................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
How many of you weekend gardeners have your gardens started ??

We've had our onions in for almost 4 weeks. About 375 of them. The blueberry bushes are looking real good. Strawberries are in and tilled the livin' sh!t outta the corn area this past weekend. Tilled again last night and hopefully 2 more times before Sunday. Then, we're gonna put the rest of the veggie plants in. Been hardening them off for the last 3 weeks. Oh yeah, and we have enough rhubarb come in already to make a 10" deep dish pie this weekend.

2023 onions.jpg

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Lookin' good G! No garden yet in the new place... maybe next year. We've got about 3 rhubarb plants coming up though, and what looks like a pear tree is full of blossoms.

Signstein

I'm so jealous of all the space you have! Are those composting bins/barrels in the background? We're covid gardeners, so we only have a few years of real experience, but have come to really enjoy it. This year we stuck with our staple favorites: tomatoes, jalapenos, chilis, mint, basil, catnip, and one carolina reaper for fun o_O Enjoy your pie!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not all fruit trees produce fruit. Some are simply decorative and look very nice when flowering. Bradford pears are illegal some places from what I've read recently.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yowsa, you like some really hot peppers there. That reaper even looks deadly.

Yep, two compost barrels. Our garden is 35' x 65' and completely enclosed. Nothing can get in other than butterflies and bugs. No mice, moles, voles rabbits or other little rodents. Big guys don't have a chance, either.

JBurton

Signtologist
My muscadines are getting ready to flower, honeysuckle is looking pretty already, and the bradford pear leaning over the fence appears to be doing it's thing already. Any of those count?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sure. Do you eat your bradford pears ?? We don't, cause they're only the size of a marble and taste like total sh!t.

BigNate

Dang Gino! I didn't take you for an herbivore! Our early harvest went down Tuesday when a hog and beef started the journey to Freezer Camp....

WildWestDesigns

We got our blueberries, cherries, figs, peach, apple (we have a couple of 3 in 1s (Fuji, Gala, Granny Smith and Red Delicious are the varieties, two are available on both)), White and Yellow corn, several different varieties of the usual stuff (peppers, tomatoes, squash, zucchini, pumpkin, lettuce, potatoes, onions), some sugar babies, raspberry, grapes, I think I have remembered everything.

ProSignTN

All I got is wild onions, wild strawberries clover and dandelions. But, I mow them every 6-8 days. There is a farmer's market about a mile from me and I do frequent often.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I've found and eaten wild strawberries in the woods. They're tiny, not very juicy

chester215

Just call me Chester.
The strawberries we planted last year are very healthy this year, We used to get so many that I was making strawberry wine for a while.
The garlic is tall and the blueberries will have to be covered in a month or so.
Just planted the watermelon and muskmelon.
Been dumping dump4-5 yd trailer loads of manure, wood chips and even once someone from a local coffee place had 4 yards of coffee grounds we mixed in with the soil.
This is our 'work' garden, the garden at home is about the same size and has a 6' deer fence.
No deer here yet, but the woodchucks forced me to put up an electric fence.
There is a creek right next to the garden, so we have a pump that i can turn on from an app which takes the worrying out of having it watered on weekends when i am not around the shop.

2023-05-12_12-29-16_683.jpg

d fleming

We have been enjoying red leaf mustards from the garden the last week or so. Have beans, watermelon, squash, cucumbers and a lot of sweet corn for the distillery!