• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Software stupor

iSign

Good post Dan!
I had been thinking the exact same thing as GB2... and liked how he too acknowledged Brigg's cordial personality...

Brigg, welcome aboard... and it's still good you have the backbone for some ribbing... just in case those slammers :noway: wake up soon :omg:

A lot of great answers came your way already, so I don't have much to offer besides a welcome.

I used run some New Hermes & Meistergram engravers, using a dos operating system...

I will agree with the thoughts of paying for training & in fact with so many looking for work, even a part time temp job for an unemployed sign guy working with you at your shop (instead of the lynda.com type of training, which is also excellent I hear) could make a huge difference in how quickly you learn the basics.. as long as the guy knows you want lessons, and are not offering long term employment... it could be a good solution.. and maybe sales will pick up & you could end up with a job for the guy in the future...

Brigg

Practice

Gary,

I agree on the practice aspect of using Corel. I can do the basic designs on Corel but it seems like there are 10 different ways that you can do the same thing. I have only had the program for 2 weeks and I am signed up with Lynda.com to do their video tutorials. That is a big help.
We used the New Hermes software on the engraving equipment. There again it is similar but so different in many aspects. Guess I will get the hang of it with more practice and loss of what little hair I have left.

Brigg :wavingflag:

Brigg

Hair replacement

WOW, that was an amazing video and even better product. LOL
That made my day. Now I had better get back to practice on Corel. :U Rock:

Brigg

iSign Wraps

Don't be intimidated by all the button bells and whistles in Corel. Start out with the basics like text and oval and rectangles. The rest will fall into place as you use it more. So much off the program is devoted to page and web design stuff you more than likely won't use in the sign biz. Use your help files and look for the videos that come on the disk to get you started. Under the help menu are also links to the Corel community with lots of tutorials and forums. Once you get started you will find Corel is a pretty fun program aside from some of its quirks.

Good luck and have fun.

onesmf

Make this sign for me. I own a local dog grooming business. The sign can't be larger than 4' X 4' due to zoning regulations. I would like my logo and phone number on the sign. Any other design elements are up to you. The sign must be planted in the ground. My budget is $1,200. I am looking for durable, high class looking materials. I also want graphics on the store front windows. Get to work!
The message? Practice with the software that you have. No need in dumbing down to an easier version. You will just be using it down the road anyway. Might as well learn it now. Good luck!

iSign Wraps

By not going to a easier version you will be getting the foundation to expand later. Corel can be very robust with the capabilities to do any aspect of the sign and digital world.
It is your one stop shop. Here are some of the things I have used it for over the years. Offset printing, vinyl cutting, engraving, silk screen, web design, just to name a few. Now my usage is all about digital printing and Vehicle Wraps. In my arsenal of tools I have everything including Adobe (full master suite), Flexi, Sign Lab as well any others I can get hands on just to play with but I always prefer to use Corel in the end. Before you know it you will have it loaded with plugins like Alein Skin Eye Candy and your capabilities will spark new ideas avenues.

Matt-Tastic

the recommendation i give everyone who likes to learn is:

take a class. if there is a local community college, they probably have a computer design class that focuses on Corel/Illustrator. for 200 bucks or so, you get a semester of knowledge and some reference books for the future.

the videos here are also pretty great, but will a lot of time only show you how to do a specific task. classes are more comprehensive, typically.

Do-Over

There are excelent tutorials offered by the guy who does them for Corel. He is in Australia I think and it goes under the name "Click-N-Learn". When I got Corel I bought (downloaded) his tutorials (I normally used AI) for I think $49 USD. They are pretty good. I think he calls it the "workplace ready tutorials". I think I like Corel better, but still use both. If ya need more info let me know.

Kevin