• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Something fun for the rock garden... (I'll bet your CNC can't do this)

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I've worked with CNC as a toolmaker since the mid 80s, and there's no way it could duplicate something like this.

16" River stone, reverse etched - approx. 3/32" to 1/8" depth. Sign vinyl stencil. Approx. 20 minutes blast time. I'm assuming roughly 90% of the stone's original surface was etched away.

It's a hard, dense stone with extremely small grain structure...the perfect combination for obtaining fine detail. It also permits the abrasive to flow across the surface like water...producing those awesome looking corner radii and blends.

I especially like how the mooring (anchor) threads seem to "hug" the stone inward in various places.

JB

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

Last edited:

ikarasu

Looks awesome, definately not doable (at least not as nice) on a CNC.... Especially in 20 minutes.

How hard is sandblasting to take.up? We have a few by the hour shops here that rent out their chambers... I've been wanting to go, but could never think of a project... I like your idea and some decorative rocks would be awesome.

Might be time to learn!

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Looks awesome, definately not doable (at least not as nice) on a CNC.... Especially in 20 minutes.

How hard is sandblasting to take.up? We have a few by the hour shops here that rent out their chambers... I've been wanting to go, but could never think of a project... I like your idea and some decorative rocks would be awesome.

Might be time to learn!
I've been at it 18 years. Like anything else, a lot depends on your teacher. Unfortunately, I had to learn on my own, so my learning curve was a lot more challenging and prolonged.

Judging by the others I've assisted over the years, you could see tremendous progress after a year or two.

A lot also depends on the equipment, but again...the right guidance will help you buy the right stuff the first time around.

JB

Last edited:
I've worked with CNC as a toolmaker since the mid 80s, and there's no way it could duplicate something like this.

16" River stone, reverse etched - approx. 3/32" to 1/8" depth. Sign vinyl stencil. Approx. 20 minutes blast time. I'm assuming roughly 90% of the stone's original surface was etched away.

It's a hard, dense stone with extremely small grain structure...the perfect combination for obtaining fine detail. It also permits the abrasive to flow across the surface like water...producing those awesome looking corner radii and blends.

I especially like how the mooring (anchor) threads seem to "hug" the stone inward in various places.

JB

View attachment 166503

View attachment 166504

View attachment 166505
That is just way too cool! Makes me want to get into sandblasting! Wow.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Looks really good.
Why do people have rock gardens? Every Sunday my dad would make me and my brother collect the rocks in the yard to keep the crank on the mower from getting bent. No matter how hard we worked the rocks would always grow back by the next Sunday.