• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Souvenir Swash?

Colin

Just curious, was there ever a Souvenir font made which had swash alternates, as in the attached?

This may be of interest:

Attachments

• Souvenir.jpg
    Souvenir.jpg
    539.4 KB · Views: 1,602

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I know I had it in ANAgraph and I believe Gerber also had it. Lettraset had it back in the 50's, I think. Nothing new.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
AFAIK there has never been a digital version of ITC Souvenir that included swash characters. This is a actually a fairly common problem with typefaces from the 1970's and earlier. ITC Serif Gothic is another whose digital versions have never covered the full character set of the old analog version. Look up the original 1977 poster for Star Wars. The credits at the bottom of the poster are set in Serif Gothic, but feature characters, such as a rounded "E", that aren't available any TTF, T1 or OTF version. With the advent of OpenType it would have made sense for type foundries like ITC to revisit those old fonts and update them to include the alternate characters, swashes, ligatures, etc. Revivals of those old typefaces are only coming out in a trickle. I guess companies like Monotype (who own the rights to much of that stuff now) see only a limited amount of sales potential with typefaces that are commonly available in more limited form.