• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sp-300i Bad Quality

mfa53

Hi, I bought a SP-300i 3 weeks ago. Our service checked the device and changed the caps. Wipers look good. He calibrated the device and cleaned the interior dust. I did not like the print quality, do you think this is normal? We print on Oracal 3640 Glossy paper. In the nozzles, there is only 1 cross beat in magenta, the others are full. For the cross beats, our service said that the device has been on the electricity for 1 month and it will probably be fixed when the caps are changed. We are currently printing with Sign&display, THT and high quality. I tried all the other settings, changed the color profiles, but I can get the best quality in this one. We are considering producing small labels. What do you think we should not do to improve the print quality? Print size is around 4 cm.

Attachments

• aa.png
    aa.png
    883.7 KB · Views: 406

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
What does the nozzle test print look like? I believe you should be able to get better quality, but may need to change some parts to do so depending on how the nozzle test looks. You might also need to play around with profiles and settings.

jfiscus

Rap Master
To be certain, try the exact same print on a couple other different medias. If that print is only 4cm across, that's not that bad of a print. It is a wide format printer made for large prints to be viewed from a distance, not a "photo quality" printer.

mfa53

To be certain, try the exact same print on a couple other different medias. If that print is only 4cm across, that's not that bad of a print. It is a wide format printer made for large prints to be viewed from a distance, not a "photo quality" printer.
Thank you, that's what I was thinking too, but I saw that better results can be achieved in the prints I've seen about this device in youtube videos. Currently, it can print without any blurring in black prints, but when printing with other colors, blurring occurs as in the photo. I will call my service again today, I suspect calibration or temperature.

mfa53

What does the nozzle test print look like? I believe you should be able to get better quality, but may need to change some parts to do so depending on how the nozzle test looks. You might also need to play around with profiles and settings.
Thank you very much, caps were changed 2 weeks ago. My service did not change it because the wipers are in good condition.

I took individual tests with profiles and colors, printing on oracal 3640 glossy paper. I downloaded the 3640G profile and tried it with it, but the result is not much different. I am sharing my nozzle tests with you. There are only 2 deflected nozzles in magenta, the company I bought it from did not use the machine for 1 month and my service said that they will be fixed as the caps change and start printing. When we got it, I think it's true that he said there were 3-4 deflected and 2 left.

As seen in the photo, there is no problem in black prints, but there are defects in the colors.

Attachments

• photo_2023-06-04 23.23.57.jpeg
    photo_2023-06-04 23.23.57.jpeg
    28.7 KB · Views: 144
  • Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 15.37.20.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 15.37.20.png
    574.8 KB · Views: 157

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
Those deflections could cause some issues with the magenta, however you should be able to get a better print. You might need to go with a high quality and uni-directional print and maybe slow down a bit. It will take longer to print, but you should get a better print. I might suggest trying a different profile like SG-G Semi-Gloss Gray Glue to see if you get anything better. Based on what you said, I don't know about changing more parts. One thing you can quickly do is make sure the encode strip is nice and clean.

mfa53

Those deflections could cause some issues with the magenta, however you should be able to get a better print. You might need to go with a high quality and uni-directional print and maybe slow down a bit. It will take longer to print, but you should get a better print. I might suggest trying a different profile like SG-G Semi-Gloss Gray Glue to see if you get anything better. Based on what you said, I don't know about changing more parts. One thing you can quickly do is make sure the encode strip is nice and clean.
I doubt that the encoder strip was cleaned, after purchasing the machine, we only printed one nozzle (in case there was a problem in shipping), then we called the authorized service to do a general maintenance. The device was completely opened and dust, dirt etc. found all over it was cleaned. The caps have changed and the machine has become very good as a nozzle (except magenta). I will meet with him again today and I will print again with the profile you mentioned. Let's see how the result will be. Thank you very much.

When I print high quality with THT, the ink consumption is very high. I think that even the standard setting will satisfy me if I can get a smooth print like black as seen in the print.

mfa53

Are you running RGB colors or Pantone colors?
Try pantone solids and see if they are better.
Hello, I took cmyk and rgb prints from the same photo, I tried them, this problem happened in both. I'm getting output from Corel.

Joe House

Your magenta will likely continue to have problems till you take care of the deflection - new head, head soak, whatever it takes. You can probably improve the graininess of the artwork and the banding by printing in a higher pass mode. Also, make sure that your bi-directional and feed calibrations are spot on. You can also try lowering the print heater by 5 degrees to allow the ink to flow out more, but there's a lower limit on that too, especially with very saturated colors.

Good Luck

Yes bi-dir calibration, and a head skew adjustment will take care of that! Nozzle check looks great in my opinion, have printed better quality with far less good nozzles!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Looks more like the wrong profile or someone has messed with the profiles prior to you taking possession. Do you see what this printer could do, before you bought it ??

mfa53

Looks more like the wrong profile or someone has messed with the profiles prior to you taking possession. Do you see what this printer could do, before you bought it ??
Hello, we bought this device mainly for printing labels. Previous owners used it for textile printing. We are printing on 3640 Glossy foil, I downloaded the 3640G and GCVP profiles from the roland profile page and tried it, but it didn't make much difference. Thank you very much.

mfa53

Yes bi-dir calibration, and a head skew adjustment will take care of that! Nozzle check looks great in my opinion, have printed better quality with far less good nozzles!
Thank you very much for your comment, the nozzles were really bad in our previous device. It was our first machine and we were scammed because of our ignorance and after 3 months the head had to be changed. Even with those nasty nozzles of his it was better than this edition.

mfa53

Your magenta will likely continue to have problems till you take care of the deflection - new head, head soak, whatever it takes. You can probably improve the graininess of the artwork and the banding by printing in a higher pass mode. Also, make sure that your bi-directional and feed calibrations are spot on. You can also try lowering the print heater by 5 degrees to allow the ink to flow out more, but there's a lower limit on that too, especially with very saturated colors.

Good Luck
Our service looked at the room and adjusted it to 42-42. Dryer 42 as head temperature 42. When we met with them yesterday, they said to test with 45, but there was not much difference with 45. I will test what you said. Thank you very much for your very valuable comment.

weyandsign

Every Roland profile I've ever downloaded for specific media looked terrible. Try a generic profile or create your own. You could try lots of different profiles until you find the "magic" one that looks great. Or the head could be bad even though nozzle print does not look too bad.

Terry01

Can you run a test print out of Versaworks and upload it so we can see a decent image and not just a clipart image?

mfa53

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 23.39.51.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 23.39.51.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 120
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-06-05 at 18.36.05.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-06-05 at 18.36.05.jpeg
    389 KB · Views: 106
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-06-05 at 18.17.24.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-06-05 at 18.17.24.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 106
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-06-05 at 18.17.21.jpeg