• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP-300V Acting up again, Image skewing horribly, please HELP!

Doyle

I've got a new problem, and this one is preventing me from printing anything! The printed image looks VERY blurry and skews off to one side as the image prints... it looks horrible.

It was suggested for my last problem that I clean my encoder strip, which I dusted off with a lint-free rag, didn't seem to help much, maybe I am doing it wrong? How exactly do you clean the encoder strip and could that also be related to this problem I am having??

The attached photo is what my crop marks are looking like, really blurry and misshapen... (it's not just the photo)

Attachments

• DSCF0651.jpg
    DSCF0651.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 168

Doyle

I just cleaned the encoder strip again, a bit more thoroughly this time (I'm afraid I'm gonna break something in there) and it seems the problem is solved for now.... who would think that a little dust on that thing could cause all this trouble, wish I had a dust-free room for my printer, I work out of a shop that is older than my Grandpa and is crumbling around me.

Thanks for the help!

P

ProWraps™

the advise of cleaning the encoder strip might as well be to throw your printer in the ocean. NEVER touch the encoder strip on any printer. if it IS the strip then have a tec replace it. good god sometimes i wonder about the advice given.

Dave L.

The encoder strip is recommended to be cleaned by Roland in their service manual when there is print skew. This has got many of my customers up and going for many months without them replacing a 200+ dollar piece of plastic and a tech visit. It's been good advice in my experience.

lilb93

YES, you can clean the encoder strip. I had a sp300 a sp540 and a 540 pro. When you get a funky print all it took was a quick wipe of the encoder strip and all is well again.

ballgame

the advise of cleaning the encoder strip might as well be to throw your printer in the ocean. NEVER touch the encoder strip on any printer. if it IS the strip then have a tec replace it. good god sometimes i wonder about the advice given.

WTF do you know?

DRamm76

Bottom line to all this...If you had a PROPERLY TRAINED Dealer in your area, you shouldn't have to be doing ANY of this...Is the machine under warranty? If not, perhaps a small investment in a Service Contract would help keep the machine handled by those trained to do so...

Have you contacted your dealer about this? No offense to anyone on here, but why aren't you directing these questions to the person you purchased the machine from? Not trying to say people here aren't helpful, but my point is, if you spend $19,000 on a printer, you should be getting the service and assistance you need at all times from that company right?

I just love dealers that sell on price but can't back their customers up whatsoever...gotta love it

SE SignSupply

:ROFLMAO:...better stick with the marketing!

DRamm76

Let's face it..there's a lot of things that the customer CAN do..I prefer to get as much done for my customers so that stuff like this never comes up. The more knowledge and assistance a dealer can provide the better.

I dont recommend customers doing it themselves either because of A)Warranty and B) it's not their job, but still I'm a realist and with anything there's exceptions..

MachServTech

The encoder is Printed mylar film strip. ProWrap is kind of right and kind of wrong. If you use the wrong chemical (such as solvent) you can wipe the fine tic marks right off. On the other hand who can afford to call a service tech out for every little issue? If you use distilled water and a lint free cloth a careful cleaning should not harm the machine or the encoder strip.

MachServTech

The encoder is located on top of the carriage rails. It is a mylar strip that runs along the top edge. It is generally clear with fine vertical lines on it. It is a part that should be kept as free of dust an debris as possible.