• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sp-540v color problem

jdragun

I recently received this sp-540v printer. It was in a friend of mine shop so I know the printer pretty well from over the years I know she's older but new to me. When I got the printer would not power on. Disassembled tested everything trace it to the main board one of the fuses on the main board was blown. It's the magenta yellow fuse. Desoldered the surface mount fuse put a new surface mount fuse on machine fired right up Bob's your uncle. The machine was sitting for quite a while so I figured we're going to need some cleaning got all new ink, r an solvent through each incline through to the printing head dampener all good to go. Found the pump lines were all clogged removed cleaned got them functioning ran ahead clean can watch the new ink pull into the lines all looked well. Cyan head looks perfect, the blackhead looks like she's pretty gummed. Hoping a head soak will clean out the black. When I try to run a print of anything she just pours yellow ink everywhere. I'm guessing the head is probably shot on the yellow and she's blowing ink. I'm hoping it's not more than the printhead. Already ordered one. Oh when I found the blown fuse figured not just going to replace it because it will just blow again Trace to what it was yellow magenta printheads. Examining the ribbon cable to that printhead one of the ribbon cables I'm not sure if it's the yellow or the magenta side it is the one all the way to the left of the printhead. That cable was half pulled out which I know will blow a fuse if that happened while the machine had power reseed it all the ribbon cables when doing all this anyway and she fires up and talks to the computer no problem. Is it possible there is something else wrong or is it just a bad printhead where I'm thinking the membrane blew or something is going on with that printhead why she's just spewing yellow ink. I am new to digital printing. I've been a vinyl shop and I am a neon Bender doing mostly neon work but digital printing opens up a whole big line of product that I can now produce in shop and hoping I don't need to spend too much more money to get this machine running.
Thank you here for all your help.

Attachments

• IMG_20211205_121627_472.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20211205_122043_152.jpg
    IMG_20211205_122043_152.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 463

rjssigns

Lots of deflection on the C/K head but that's irrelevant, you have a new one on the way.
Since you're going that far I would replace all the ribbon cables as those too are consumables.
Probably wouldn't hurt to replace all the ink lines. You wouldn't want a stray particle ruining the new head.

You've got a bunch of work ahead of you but it will pay off. SP540V's are simple and very reliable. No speed demon but it will crank out the work.
The few months preceding the sale of mine I burned through 6 wrap kits. Just so you know a full wrap will take about all day to print.
Last thing, you'll need a laminator.

jdragun

Lots of deflection on the C/K head but that's irrelevant, you have a new one on the way.
Since you're going that far I would replace all the ribbon cables as those too are consumables.
Probably wouldn't hurt to replace all the ink lines. You wouldn't want a stray particle ruining the new head.

You've got a bunch of work ahead of you but it will pay off. SP540V's are simple and very reliable. No speed demon but it will crank out the work.
The few months preceding the sale of mine I burned through 6 wrap kits. Just so you know a full wrap will take about all day to print.
Last thing, you'll need a laminator.
Yes on the lamination. I've been doing that with my vinyl work, frog juice and overlaminate. I will order all new ink lines. So is that a bad yellow head?

rjssigns

Yes on the lamination. I've been doing that with my vinyl work, frog juice and overlaminate. I will order all new ink lines. So is that a bad yellow head?
Gotta say I've never seen anything like it when I had my SP. It could be an electrical issue doing that too. If you do a complete rebuild the printer should be good for years. I kept up maintenance, P/M's etc...on mine and it still printed pretty good after 12 years. C/K head was going out, but for most work you wouldn't know. If it was mission critical stuff I'd run it in Uni and the prints were great.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
That yellow streak is an electrical issue. Check your head cables for damaged, debris, ink splatter, corrosion etc. and replace as necessary. If the cable doesn't do the trick it's usually going to be the head itself. I would also clean the terminals with some 90% alcohol to make sure it's not just super dirty. Always worth a shot.

jdragun

Found a bad end on a ribbon cable. Just ordered all new cables. Hope nothing else got fried....
Nothing it of the m/y heads, now. That's a cable with a bad end. Now waiting for parts. Holy cow finding parts in the us is a pain.

Attachments

• 16388277696792498181948746718959.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 105

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Found a bad end on a ribbon cable. Just ordered all new cables. Hope nothing else got fried....
Nothing it of the m/y heads, now. That's a cable with a bad end. Now waiting for parts. Holy cow finding parts in the us is a pain.

I've got the cables in stock here if you still need them. Roland locks down their tech and parts more than any other manufacturer so it's harder to stock them without being an official dealer.

jdragun

I've got the cables in stock here if you still need them. Roland locks down their tech and parts more than any other manufacturer so it's harder to stock them without being an official dealer.
I have them ordered and coming, but I will add you to my database for parts. Good to know

jdragun

Thank you. I still use a pnc-1100 to cut vinyl and print neon patterns. Been keeping that girl alive for quite a long time now. I'm the second owner and she had to be pushing 30 years old.....

jdragun

Thanks all! All new cables, cleaned, one new print head, and the original fuse fix on the main board. She is working!
The yellow/magenta head looked like it had a strike at some point. So replaced. The black/cyan isn't the best either, but it will get me by until I can gather some more money to buy a new one. I think it is passable printing at this point.

Thank you again for your help here everyone. I hoped I can help someone here at some point. If they're are any neon questions I can help there!

John

Attachments

• IMG_20211213_184316.jpg
    IMG_20211213_184316.jpg
    982 KB · Views: 224

jdragun

Thanks all! All new cables, cleaned, one new print head, and the original fuse fix on the main board. She is working!
The yellow/magenta head looked like it had a strike at some point. So replaced. The black/cyan isn't the best either, but it will get me by until I can gather some more money to buy a new one. I think it is passable printing at this point.

Thank you again for your help here everyone. I hoped I can help someone here at some point. If they're are any neon questions I can help there!

John

Attachments

• IMG_20211213_155235_499.jpg
    IMG_20211213_155235_499.jpg
    760.4 KB · Views: 151

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
That is the old one. Looks like a strike on the right side. Y/M print perfect now.
Yes, I would say it got some sort of damage, most likely a head strike, or it could have happened during transport to your shop if you didn't put the piece in to protect the heads while transporting.