• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP-540V Network card problem?

Goatshaver

So i just replaced the network card in my machine a few weeks ago and it's been running fine in that respect but today I just got an encoder error. Turned the machine off and when it came back up it says it's not connected in Versaworks.

The lights on the network card in respect to the machine 1st light is flashing green, middle orange if off and the far right is solid.

From my knowledge the far right shows it connected to my pc but it seems someone between the internals of the machine is not connecting up with the network card.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
i dont know your machine at all, but...

was the replacement card new?
what was the situation that led to replacing it inthe first place?
can uou ping the network ip from the pc? or http://your ip address in internet explorer?.

things. i would try:

remove card, clean terminals with alcohol wipe & reseat
either. factory default machine or remove cmos battery & set up card again ( you will be running a lot of settings again, this might be a last resort, possibly more harm than good)

before you try the above, what was the original problem, there might be a hint there as to your problem

Goatshaver

i dont know your machine at all, but...

was the replacement card new?
what was the situation that led to replacing it inthe first place?
can uou ping the network ip from the pc? or http://your ip address in internet explorer?.

things. i would try:

remove card, clean terminals with alcohol wipe & reseat
either. factory default machine or remove cmos battery & set up card again ( you will be running a lot of settings again, this might be a last resort, possibly more harm than good)

before you try the above, what was the original problem, there might be a hint there as to your problem

An electrical surge had caused the original network card to go bad. I bought a new one, installed and worked fine.

I got a 110 error mid print, which is the encoder error, so I powered off the machine and when it came up I noticed one of the network card lights was flashing, usually both are solid.

I'm connected directly to my PC via crossover cable. (And it's definitely not that because light that shows connection to the PC is fine and solid, but the light that shows the link between the machine and it's card is flashing.

I've only tried reseating the card and that didn't work.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
i have owned a company that does computer networking, since before most companies knew theybcould be networked. wish i knew as much about the specifics of the rolands. hopefully scott from roland will see this and comment on how he would troubleshoot.

my first impression (guess) might be that there is further damage, such as the chip tht communicates with your network card. not all damage after a surge happens immediately

i will have a look at the service manual later and see if i can come up with a more useful opinion

Goatshaver

i have owned a company that does computer networking, since before most companies knew theybcould be networked. wish i knew as much about the specifics of the rolands. hopefully scott from roland will see this and comment on how he would troubleshoot.

my first impression (guess) might be that there is further damage, such as the chip tht communicates with your network card. not all damage after a surge happens immediately

i will have a look at the service manual later and see if i can come up with a more useful opinion

I greatly appreciate any ideas on this.

See the card has 3 lights 2 green and one orange in the middle of those greens. I know the far right is communication between that card and pc and the other is between the card and the machine's main board. So my guess right now is either the network card went bad again ( I don't think this is the culprit though), my concern is the main board since the card is plugged directly into it, no cables. At this point I can't afford a new board so I'll try anything to get this running again.

Goatshaver

I've reseated the card and that didn't work. I did a factory defaults and that didn't work either.

Looks like I'm screwed on this one.

If you know anything about the ip address setup etc. Use your crossover cable to another device, computer or such. Ping your other device. See what you get, do the same with your Roland. Start with this and make sure your cable and settings are correct. Report back and let’s go from there.
Good luck

Goatshaver

If you know anything about the ip address setup etc. Use your crossover cable to another device, computer or such. Ping your other device. See what you get, do the same with your Roland. Start with this and make sure your cable and settings are correct. Report back and let’s go from there.
Good luck

Unfortunately my machine doesn't even show up to ping. I tried the last known ip I was using and there is nothing at all.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
download advanced ip scanner. do a acan
even with a crossover cable (no switch or router) you should br picking up an ip address
lets see if advaned ip scanner finds it
it should detect the subnet (192.168.0.xxx or whatever the address was before

it will scan all 254 ip addresses inyour range and rrport what is there and the status

scott from rolsnd probably doesn't watch the forums on the weekend, but might have a good idea for us on monday

i did not get. a service manual yet, but i will

netsol

Premium Subscriber
i am trying to get service manual
hoping maybe we just have a power supply source missing,not a badmain board

Goatshaver

download advanced ip scanner. do a acan
even with a crossover cable (no switch or router) you should br picking up an ip address
lets see if advaned ip scanner finds it
it should detect the subnet (192.168.0.xxx or whatever the address was before

it will scan all 254 ip addresses inyour range and rrport what is there and the status

scott from rolsnd probably doesn't watch the forums on the weekend, but might have a good idea for us on monday

i did not get. a service manual yet, but i will

Didn't pick up anything other than my PC that i'm on and my wifi adapter ip. Nothing for the machine.

Goatshaver

All fixed. Had a tech come and check it out and I actually don't think he really did anything different than I did. Seems like my VPN might have had something to do with it. He wasn't even really sure about it. Thanks for all the help guys!