• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP 540V PRINT/cut issues

ericmitchell29

I am printing the attached lettering. I have made a cut around the letters. Send it to Versaworks, It prints fine, when It cuts, the cut lines are off by quite a bit .25'' . It seems as though the substrate must be moving. Any tips on keeping this straight. The image size is about 60'' by 12''

Thanks
Eric

Attachments

• rearquarterpanelfinal.jpg
    rearquarterpanelfinal.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 148

tmac

Is your machine cutting other jobs ok? Your Machine should cut ok if it is advancing to read the registration marks it should advance the same way when it is cutting. The only other thing I can think of is the blade offset adjustment,but that would only have to be adjusted if you are having a problem on every job. Try shrinking the job to 48" wide and rotate it to cut left to right on your printer,you will only waste 12" of vinyl but you will see if the machine cuts it properly, Good Luck

ericmitchell29

OK just reprinted,
I am getting some definite movement on my prints. I just printed across the printer, probably only 10'' deep and 45'' wide (left to right) the Left side of the print as is coming out of the printer was dead on and the right side, nearest the head was off by about a 1/8th to a 1/4 inch.

I can see the vinyl has moved from the location it started at.

Short of being a sharp shooter, how do you get the rolls of vinyl to set perfectly so as not to move during printing? I know its only a small amount but when doing detailed work like that, its important. Should I just chalk it up to the fact that it can't do it that precise?

Thanks all
Eric

tmac

When loading the vinyl I try to use the two media guides on each end of the printer,there is a little space in the middle of each guide and you can see the edge of the media. If you are loading the media crooked you will see it there. I also use the big clear plastic wheels on my roll of vinyl that came with the printer,although my supplier told me I didn't need them.They work for me.Are your pinch rollers down and tight to the media?

ericmitchell29

Yes I definitely line it up that way. One thing I just noticed. This is a first, I am not using the plastic inserts like you talked about. I usually do, I'm going to try that.

Thanks
Eric

ericmitchell29

Hi again,
I've tried aligning the print/cut on the sp540v. I have tried slowing down the cut speed, adjusting the offset, and the pressure.

I have tried printing and cutting a small "test" lettering and it is off by about an 1/8th of an inch . The cut outline is off to the right of the lettering when finished. So basically on a black font I have a white drop shadow so to speak.

Any other ideas?

threeputt

Here's a couple of possiblilities: (1) After the initial print is out of the machine, are you hanging the print in some fashion that the print can stretch? Hanging it by one end? Calendared vinyl can grow.

(2) After you laminate and get set to cut, are you doing an environmental match? Do this everytime so that if there are temperature differences between when the print was made and the cut is made, the machine can sense such and set up the encoder strip to allow for that.

(3) Are the pinch rollers slipping on the laminate? (wipe them with alcohol once in a while)

(4) Are the pinch rollers out of round? (from leaving the lever down when machine is not in use)

These are my only thoughts in addition to what others have suggested.

ericmitchell29

Three putt, Numbers 3 and 4 may be the issue. This is really stupid of me but, I bought this machine used and although the person I bought it from was very helpful in explaining how it all works, thats something I didn't know.

Is there a possibility that the roller may have bent or the media clamps are worn out? I always left the clamp down.

Where the heck do I get replacement parts for this?
This could turn out to be the problem, hoping I don't create more when fixing it.
Thanks
Eric

threeputt

Eric, I would visit rolanddga.com and click on a link that refers to dealers in your area. They are the only ones that I know of for replacement parts.

peavey123

not to scare you but when we had the same machine it did the same thing..our dealer came in to fix it and we could never get a proper cut if we went over 30" ... :S good luck! i feel your pain!

grafixemporium

Repost:

Are You Laminating And Then Reloading The Vinyl To Register And Cut? Or Are You Printing/cutting At The Same Time??

If You Are Laminating And Reloading I Have Some Suggestions That Will Help.

ericmitchell29

No Just print/cut. Everything is staying attached to the roll and then cut.
I really am at a loss. It starts off right end then the further it cuts, the more it skews. Its like the cut line is bigger than the print but it all starts at the same point on the vinyl, it just ends differently and gets worse as it cuts.

I really am hoping that there is a legit fix for this as this was quite an investment. Roland preaches about the print cut deal and... if it can't do it with great detail... whats it worth.

Oh well, just venting. I'm staying optimistic and hoping someone has an answer. It seems there are quite of few people who have had this issue.

Thanks
Eric

ericmitchell29

Yeah, actually, I bought it from a member on here. Its not his fault. He is definitely an honest guy and I don't believe he knew this was happening. He prints primarily wraps.

There are a couple of more things I am going to try. One thing I just noticed and, it may be causing it... I have the roll of vinyl sitting on the rollers without the plastic white circular roller inserts. The roll of vinyl is too big for the ones I have. Can you buy larger inserts? I mean, It still shouldn't be moving because it did something similar when I tried putting a sheet through.

Oh well. I'll keep working on it.
Thanks
Eric

Tparkin

I've had some slight issues before when using a new roll of banner material...could it be the weight of the roll? Not sure what you're printing on. If it's a new roll, try spooling off enough to almost reach the floor and keep an eye on it before it pulls back tight. Just a theory....?