• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP300 Head replacement...fill first with flushing fluid?

geckophoto

Several years ago I replaced both my heads myself, and now have to do the m/y head. I watch the online video for the procedure, but I seem to remember being told you MUST fill the head first with flush fluid prior to filling it with ink so it won't clog up. I bought the syringe with tube/damper to do it with the new head, but can someone CONFIRM with me I must fill it first and then put on the dampers?

Do I gently push fluid into it and see it come out the nozzles and then install the head? I think thats what I did years ago but dont remember for certain. I don't want to ruin my $475 new print head! Thanks for info.

cornholio

Hello
After replacing hundreds of heads professionally, no.
Mimaki required to flush, Roland didn't. I sometimes forgot it with Mimakis, they always worked anyway.

geckophoto

Ok i was even contemplating filling a new damper with flushing fluid then installing it and do the fill ink procedure. But wont hurt to fill it prior?

geckophoto

Putting in new m/y head today. Change rank number first then install new one and run tests for alignment. Just hoping i get no issues and it is fixed! Lots to print this week.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Putting in new m/y head today. Change rank number first then install new one and run tests for alignment. Just hoping i get no issues and it is fixed! Lots to print this week.
Unplug the printer and wait 15 minutes before you do anything. That will avoid popping fuses etc. Good luck!

geckophoto

Ok i just put in my new head, filled ink per service menu and printed this test.

Any idea what is wrong? I out in new head rank properly.

I can really use some tech advise asap thanks!

Attachments

• 61888592-C3B2-4DEC-BC49-6116A3BB2946.jpeg
    61888592-C3B2-4DEC-BC49-6116A3BB2946.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 79

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Looks like either you need a new cap top and/or the line is clogged/partially clogged from the cap top through the pump. Some nozzles are firing so you didn't pop a fuse. Ink just isn't flowing enough to fill the head completely. On an SP300 you should be able to fill the system with 1 maybe 2 strong cleanings. If the filling in the service menu didn't completely fill it, I would flush the cap top tube, the Y connector it connects to, and the pump/waste tube to make sure none of them are clogged. If they aren't, I'd start with a cap top.

geckophoto

I just switched ribbon cables k/c to m/y and put m/y on k/c. Printed this now. I did put new dampers in m/y and visually see them all filled up with new ink. Printing test via service mode and why do i get the small nozzle test too? Should I not print test while in service mode?

Attachments

• F911E967-DBF2-4C60-8D3C-6895A2B15712.jpeg
    F911E967-DBF2-4C60-8D3C-6895A2B15712.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 82

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I just switched ribbon cables k/c to m/y and put m/y on k/c. Printed this now. I did put new dampers in m/y and visually see them all filled up with new ink. Printing test via service mode and why do i get the small nozzle test too? Should I not print test while in service mode?
The dampers can have ink in them and the head might still not be 100% filled. Since you are getting some nozzles to print, you don't have an electrical issue. How did you initially fill the system after the head was installed? Did you suck ink into the damper with a syringe or did you run an ink fill / cleanings?

geckophoto

The dampers can have ink in them and the head might still not be 100% filled. Since you are getting some nozzles to print, you don't have an electrical issue. How did you initially fill the system after the head was installed? Did you suck ink into the damper with a syringe or did you run an ink fill / cleanings?
I did ink fill while in service mode then just now one normal clean. I see LOTS of M ink in cap top bubbling down down drain tube so i guess it has ink in head?

geckophoto

Just did power clean and still no y printing minimal m ☹️

Pic of cap top as heads move left over wipers so i see lots of M ink pumping out?

Attachments

• 2D054718-72F1-40F9-8602-2D86703A767C.jpeg
    2D054718-72F1-40F9-8602-2D86703A767C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 62
  • 2BD18F15-A73B-49CF-9DA0-55A21B78113C.jpeg
    2BD18F15-A73B-49CF-9DA0-55A21B78113C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 55
  • 5E38D88A-BA24-4B5C-A98C-F58C19362577.jpeg
    5E38D88A-BA24-4B5C-A98C-F58C19362577.jpeg
    910.1 KB · Views: 55

netsol

did you saturate the felts on the captops with flush?
put a syringe on the hose coming out of the captop?
new damper?

make sure the llines to the pump are not clogged

geckophoto

When changing head rank I put these in as zero’s/numerical. Is this an issue? I trued to get keypad to show me alpha/O’s but it would only show numeric zeros so i assume this is correct?

The pic i took in 5/5 is old head rank number with new rank number on head im holding.

Attachments

• 2C081C6D-5DD5-454A-8ED8-CC3A99E923C2.png
    2C081C6D-5DD5-454A-8ED8-CC3A99E923C2.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 57
  • 90931C61-56E2-48D3-B79A-FD7ACF66ABA5.jpeg
    90931C61-56E2-48D3-B79A-FD7ACF66ABA5.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 62

geckophoto

did you saturate the felts on the captops with flush?
put a syringe on the hose coming out of the captop?
new damper?

make sure the llines to the pump are not clogged
New cap top in now, it fills with M/Y ink during cleaning but no ink jets when printing.

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
Sounds like a fuse may have gone this time. Check the 2 little fuses on the main board and hopefully that's all it is.

geckophoto

Well i did what the tech said where i got the head from. Basically switched head 1 ( old working one) with head 2 the new one.

Old head works fine on side 2 but new head wont print on side 1. Tells me board/fuses are fine and my new head doesnt work.

Funny thing is ink flows thru bad head into cap when cleaning so i know its not clogged yet wont print. Time to buy another one and deal with warranty/replacement from us.digiprint as tech says its about a 4 week process to replace the bad head.

Should i buy a new head from another seller? Or stick with current seller?

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
Just to confirm, you took out the main board and tested the fuse, as what your stating now sounds exactly like a blown fuse.

geckophoto

Just to confirm, you took out the main board and tested the fuse, as what your stating now sounds exactly like a blown fuse.
No i changed rank numbers to opposite sides and also switched ink lines/dampers to corresponding heads. So M/Y now print on the K/C side and visa versa…..but the K/C now set to the new head doesn't print.

I get M/Y printing thru the good old head (left head-#1side) so its showing m/y fuse side is not blown since it prints nozzle check fine but thru the old working k/c head.

This was an easier test than pulling each head and swapping them with all the little screws. Tech now is going thru process of getting the new head returned after verifying i was using oem roland inks up to date and could be a month to ship head back to manufacturer for replacement/refund after head is determined not operational.

So now I buy another head to install and get jobs done in mean time.