• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help SP300i Having trouble Cutting Small Letters

PrinterPower

Unoffical Printer IT
Good morning everyone,

Just recently, I've developed a problem with my Versacamm SP 300i. Any san serif or fonts with straight edges cut sloppily when small in size on my printer. I do not seem to have the same problem when the design is about 10" or larger.

The machine used to cut small letters just fine, so I'm not really sure what happened. I've also played with the cut offset, but it doesn't seem to help.

Any kind of calibration settings or something else I can run to test for issues? I'll attach pictures to this post to compare the cuts.

You'll have to click "View in New Tab" to see them full size:

Thank you!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Clean out your blade holder and check your cutting strip to make sure it doesn't have any major divots taken out of it. You might just need a new blade holder at the end of the day.

PrinterPower

Unoffical Printer IT
Clean out your blade holder and check your cutting strip to make sure it doesn't have any major divots taken out of it. You might just need a new blade holder at the end of the day.

I cleaned out the blade holder and the cutting strip does have parts where it looked like the blade cut too deeply, but I find it odd since those were there before my employment and I'm only now having issues. Anyway, I did a cut test above a part of the strip that was still in good condition and the same thing still happened.

I tried the cut offset again and managed to get decent results by turning it up to 0.425 mm but I feel like going to that from 0.250 mm is definitely a warning sign.

Do you have any recommendations of what to look for when buying a new blade holder?

Thank you!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I cleaned out the blade holder and the cutting strip does have parts where it looked like the blade cut too deeply, but I find it odd since those were there before my employment and I'm only now having issues. Anyway, I did a cut test above a part of the strip that was still in good condition and the same thing still happened.

I tried the cut offset again and managed to get decent results by turning it up to 0.425 mm but I feel like going to that from 0.250 mm is definitely a warning sign.

Do you have any recommendations of what to look for when buying a new blade holder?

Thank you!

I believe all Roland blade holders are the same. You should be able to find them at RolandDGA.com. They have an online store.

As far as the offset goes, it's a specific value for each blade. It's the distance between the tip of the blade and center of the shaft. The reason it could be off is that the tip of the blade is broken, worn down, or the blade is sticking out too far or too little. Take a good look at the blade with a magnifying glass. You will be able to tell if it's broken fairly easily.

PrinterPower

Unoffical Printer IT
I believe all Roland blade holders are the same. You should be able to find them at RolandDGA.com. They have an online store.

As far as the offset goes, it's a specific value for each blade. It's the distance between the tip of the blade and center of the shaft. The reason it could be off is that the tip of the blade is broken, worn down, or the blade is sticking out too far or too little. Take a good look at the blade with a magnifying glass. You will be able to tell if it's broken fairly easily.

I just upped the offset to 0.450 mm and now it's good again. Thanks for the explanation on cut offset, I think that's what I needed for a lightbulb moment.

I'm glad it was something rather minor.

Thanks again!