• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP300V - Incomplete cuts...

InTheRed

I have an SP300V that appears to not be completing it's cuts. Using a single letter as an example: It lowers the knife, cuts around the letter, returning to the location it started cutting, then picks the knife back up. But at that start/stop location, the letter is still slightly attached to the excess media. Not a horrible issue if the letter is large and easily held down to the backing with your weeding tool while you pull the rest of the media away... But if the letter is tiny (say 1/4" high) this poses problems - especially with periods and so forth... I end up losing pieces parts of my design.

The media is Solutions Opaque White. The design software is Corel x3.
I have checked the designs, and the cut lines are complete. All design objects seem to be doing this.
I have adjusted the knife, the cutting pressure, and the cutting speed, to no avail...

Has anyone else experienced this oddity?
Should this incomplete cutting be taking place (I'm assuming not), and if not how do I remedy it?

Thanks for any help!
ITR :Cool 2:

InTheRed

Checked the teflon cutting strip...

I don't see or feel any gouges or anything for that matter. It appears / feels nice and smooth. When I do a test cut, it does this then too... When I pull up the circle, the square wants to come too, just in one place. Same place every time. Same goes for the cut between the circle and the outside... Same place every time. I've played with the amount the blade is extended, the cut pressure, the cut speed, and the offset now. I looked up in the manual what the offset changes... It did appear that the corners of the square were slightly rounded, so I added to the offset. Seems to have helped that, but not the incomplete cutting.
I also checked to see if there was anything stuck in the blade holder, but nothing there... :banghead:

Any more ideas anyone? This is enough to drive one to drink!!! :toasting:

Thanks!

chopper

I have a sp300V and never had this problem,
what rip and what design software are you using?
did it always do this?
( is the machine new or new to you and you have always had this problem or did it just start)
the only cut issues that I had had were alignment also cut pressure what would happen is the rip would sometimes control the printer when I thought I had it set for the control panel on the printer to control it, so when I thought it was set at say 120 gram force it was at the default of 50 gram force, this could be happening to you with your cut offset, you may think the control panel is the setting but it is being over ridden by the software,
just a thought....
//chopper

InTheRed

I have a sp300V and never had this problem,
what rip and what design software are you using?
//chopper

I am using Corel x3, and the Roland VersaWorks program.

did it always do this?
( is the machine new or new to you and you have always had this problem or did it just start)
We have had this machine since the spring. Have not used it much, but I believe it has been doing it since we got it. It is new. (Was a demo machine...)

the only cut issues that I had had were alignment also cut pressure what would happen is the rip would sometimes control the printer when I thought I had it set for the control panel on the printer to control it, so when I thought it was set at say 120 gram force it was at the default of 50 gram force, this could be happening to you with your cut offset, you may think the control panel is the setting but it is being over ridden by the software,
just a thought....
I found this in the manual. It says that when you set the value of "Cutting Prior" on the machine's menu to "Command", the program's settings take priority over the machine's settings. If you set that same value to "Menu", the machine's settings take priority. Originally, they had this machines "Cutting Priority" value set to "Command" which in my mind would mean that the program would be doing it's thing and the machine would be ignoring what I am setting it for within it's own menu... Just for giggles, I had tried changing that but it didn't seem to help my situation any...

InTheRed

Have you tried using a new blade?
Yes... Tried replacing with a new 45 degree blade. Also have now tried and am currently using a new 60 degree blade. No change The 60 degree blade helped with another problem I was having where on a printed object with sharp thin parts, once it was cut, it would immediately peel off the backing at those thin edges... But that seems to have subsided.

InTheRed

Bump it up a bit test and see if it improves or gets worse. Than go more or less based on the outcome.
I've done that. Makes a difference in the test cuts in respect to the corners being rounded or strait... But no difference with the incomplete cuts.

But get this... I just did test cuts and a complete job cutting some 3 inch lettering and did it in pressure sensitive sign vinyl. Cuts perfectly! But if I go back to Solutions Opaque (for heat transfer to garments), it does the incomplete cuts again. I don't get it! :banghead:

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
But get this... I just did test cuts and a complete job cutting some 3 inch lettering and did it in pressure sensitive sign vinyl. Cuts perfectly! But if I go back to Solutions Opaque (for heat transfer to garments), it does the incomplete cuts again. I don't get it! :banghead:

That stuff sux to cut. Are you cutting with your heaters on...? That's most likely your problem because it makes the material soft and rubbery.

oyy0

mine does the same thing, I have to add 'cut border' in the cut options, otherwise it won't completely cut all edges, about 1/8" everytime.
don't know why, I am going to ask on wednesday because they are coming to replace some nozzles that broke on my machine. :(

Mike_Koval

the solutions opaque will do that when using heat. it is a very stretchable material and will expand with heat. here are some tips for cutting solutions opaque.

Turn of heaters...wait a little before weeding to give a lil extra dry time.
-or-
use a carbide blade
-or-
print with registration marks and allow to sit for an hour or so then cut
-or-
cut first without heat, but make sure you select return to origin, then turn heat back on and send to print only.

That stuff sux to cut. Are you cutting with your heaters on...? That's most likely your problem because it makes the material soft and rubbery.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
If printing from VersaWorks just set a "dry time" in your printer controls tab.
10 minutes is sufficient for the platen to cool down and makes cutting much better.

petepaz

not sure if this is it, just throwing ideas out
but did you check all your cut lines to make sure
there are no breaks any where in the artwork
maybe the cut line has an open segment and part is not
a cut line