• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP300v ribbon(cables) going to print head "slapping" while printing

jster171

Ive had my SP300v since BRAND NEW bought in 2005.
ABSOLUTE work horse! Around 2012 these cables started slapping and raising cane and eventually bound up causing a fault. This permanently kinked the white data cable, so I had to replace. I went ahead and replaced the clear strips on both sides of said data cable as well. All was good until Jan of this year 2021. Same same, went ahead and replaced all 3 again. Now, its starting to make noise and flop around AGAIN! Cant find ANYTHING wrong, out of placement etc etc etc. Any ideas would be appreciated. It looks like a "friction" issue at the time the cables touch each other during that DROP portion of the run. I have attached a pic to illustrate the point of contact.

IMG_0446.jpg

FrankW

Regularly, this starts happening when the plastic guides are placed wrong. When placing the plastic protectors on the metal bottom, the lower protector should be fixed slightly more leftwards than the upper one.

jster171

Correct, as you see in the pic, thats how they are configured.

Attachments

• IMG_0452 copy.jpg
    IMG_0452 copy.jpg
    609.4 KB · Views: 84

rjssigns

Before I replaced the ribbon cables on my SP540V I took lots of pictures and exact measurements. Also laid down painters tape and marked all critical locations of the various bits 'n' bobs. What I'm getting at is I set it up exactly as it came from the factory. No deviation, no close enough.
Ran great and then I sold it. New owner hasn't reported any issues and that was over two years ago. Cables were in over a year before I sold it.

jster171

Yep, pretty much the same here. Lots of pics from different angles on this task. SOMETHINGS not exactly right though, thats for sure. I missed something etc etc. I have reviewed my pics and notes time and again and just don't see it though :(
Its SUPER minor whatever it is. I have since put a small dab of baby powder on the clear ribbon at the point where they touch each other during the heads pass. This drastically reduced the friction at the point that they make contact with each other and its smooth as butter.
SIDE NOTE: YEARS ago, a Roland tech told me to wipe this area down periodically with a dryer sheet to CLEAN the area and to KEEP it slick. That helped for sure. I have heard more than once that this is a weak design with the machine. More to come....

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
One thing I always do is clean the clear plastic guide strips with a rag and alcohol. The ink dust tends to build up over time which is sticky and it prevents them from sliding easily. This would also cause the slapping.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Every time I install those new guides I first coat them with the plastic dry lube spray stuff. No complaints.

jster171

Every time I install those new guides I first coat them with the plastic dry lube spray stuff. No complaints.
Hmmm, do you know the name of said "plastic dry lube spray stuff"?
Might give it a whirl if this baby powder doesn't last very long. Thanks