• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP540-V print/cut adjustment in service mode?

Stagecraft

I've tried repeatedly to correct the print cut alignment on my 540 (limit initialization, env match, replace encoder strip, print/cut adjust etc. etc. etc.) to no avail. The alignment is still out approximately 3/16" along the scan axis. I have heard a better, more precise way to adjust is available via the service mode. Anybody know of online instructions on how to do this, a full tutorial would be even better! - Thanks if you can advise.
Also - Getting a "service mode protected" message...is there a workaround? - Thanks again!

Ragnabrok

There is a set of each print-cut alignments and crop cut alignments in the service menu, since cuts with and without crop marks are aligned differently. First off, which are you having trouble with, crop marks or none?

Second, 3/16ths is pretty huge for cut alignment, i'm not sure the numbers even go that high. What i've seen before is the cut is actually where it should be, but the print has shifted over, usually the cause of some crud on the encoder scale. Have you tried cleaning that?

"service mode protected" comes up if you enter the sequence wrong, or too slowly i think. the workaround is to do it right :thumb:

rjssigns

Had an issue today with my SP540V cutting. Turned out to be a corrupted file. Rebuilt the file and it cuts fine. Although I did get into service mode and fine tune things while I was at it.
Another thing you might try is turning off the power, unplug the cord then go to lunch. Be surprised what a rest and reset can do for the SP540.

Go after the low hanging fruit first.

Note: There are roughly 0.040" per mil so the cut is about 3.5mils out. You can go waaaaaay past that in service mode.

A Summa D series is on the short list though.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Usually when I run into this issue, running the encoder setup and calibration in service mode and then the environmental match in user mode does the trick. Rarely it can be the servo board as well.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Also, to get into service mode most tech manuals are wrong on the buttons to push. Try this one:

Front power off main back power on

Push in order - down, right, left, up, right, down, left

Then push and hold left, down, up and turn front power on

This all needs to be done in about 5 seconds.