• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question SP540V cutting not exact

N Johnston

Hi guys

I am new to the sign making world and to print and cut machines. Getting on well so far learning myself as I go. So noticed after doing quite a few print, laminate and cut stickers that there is always a part of the sheet where the knife hasn't cut through properly, you notice when weeding away the cut line gets stuck at some stickers and you have to manually cut it properly with a scalpel which is really annoying. First thoughts are is it the cutting strip possibly needs replaced? Cuts well on majority of the sheet, but not in a certain area. Many thanks!

N Johnston

Heres an example pic

Attachments

• 20201105_104704.jpg
    20201105_104704.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 183

KrisMalby

just an opinion but maybe a new blade or set the cut a little bit deeper. I will say though when i cut through colour i mostly do a print only with cutting marks leave it a day and then cut later. I don't have your printer but i assume you use versaworks just stuff to try not saying its your problem other thing i would definitely try though is slowing down the cut speed.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
If it is always in the same area, examine the cutting strip in that area. If there are grooves in the strip, it probably needs replacing. If you replace it, be sure to remove ALL the residual adhesive left from the old strip, otherwise you will have bumps in the strip, which will give you other issues.

Hero Signs

If they let me make it, they will come
If there is any wobble where it's off check your rollers they may be loose not visually but inspect them physically each

N Johnston

just an opinion but maybe a new blade or set the cut a little bit deeper. I will say though when i cut through colour i mostly do a print only with cutting marks leave it a day and then cut later. I don't have your printer but i assume you use versaworks just stuff to try not saying its your problem other thing i would definitely try though is slowing down the cut speed.

Hi Kris, thanks for your reply. So say if I print 9 circle floor stickers on a sheet, 6 of them cut perfectly, the other 3 need finished with the scalpel, the cut line works on them ok, just doesn't cut through enough on those 3. As I had adjusted the blade to go deeper before to see if it made any difference but no. Many thanks

N Johnston

If it is always in the same area, examine the cutting strip in that area. If there are grooves in the strip, it probably needs replacing. If you replace it, be sure to remove ALL the residual adhesive left from the old strip, otherwise you will have bumps in the strip, which will give you other issues.

Hi Jim
I will inspect the strip then closely to find out, I have a new one sitting waiting, hopefully this is the issue. Yes it can be a pain to replace the strip indeed, done it recently on a Graphtec plotter and was a nightmare to get it all off. Thanks for your reply.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Hi Jim
I will inspect the strip then closely to find out, I have a new one sitting waiting, hopefully this is the issue. Yes it can be a pain to replace the strip indeed, done it recently on a Graphtec plotter and was a nightmare to get it all off. Thanks for your reply.
It is a real pain, I know. You will want to pull the old one off gently, hoping the adhesive comes with it. You might consider this -https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C9H9XG7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - to help remove the residue.