• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Spar Urethane Over Print???

Sign_Boy

Hey all...

Does anyone know if a digital print / vinyl can be coated with Spar Urethane?
Should the print be laminated before the Urethane is applied?

Thanks in advance for any info.

letterman7

I wouldn't. The urethane won't have anything to "grab" to if it's laminated. If it isn't laminated and you coat it, it may pucker the vinyl. But the urethane won't last over that, either. What exactly are you trying to do?

ova

Not sure if I did the right thing, but I printed a local bar's logo and applied it to their stage floor (sanded hardwood). Right after I got it layed down, he rolled poly over it. After two years, it still looks OK. I didn't say good because of the foot traffic it has the usual scuffs and scratches. The logo is still stuck.

I didn't lam it and printed it on an sp300v eco sol ink. Maybe I just got lucky.

Just a side note. If you're putting it on a floor after it's been sanded, take some application tape (I used 24") and seal it to the floor in the area of the job, then remove it. This will help get all the fine residue up that a cloth or cleaning agent won't.

Hope this helps
Dave

visual800

I dont know about spar varnish but urethane clears wil go right over digital prints. i would rather clear prints than put laminate over them. i dont know wth is going on with laminates lately but they are really starting to suck

DO NOT LAMINATE and you will be fine to vanish over a print

Sign_Boy

Cool thank you everyone.

A customer (old co-worker / friend) supplied me with a wood blank.
He wanted me to apply contour cut prints to it.
He would then apply the urethane.

OK so no lam.

Thanks again

CentralSigns

I've only ever done things the other way around. Decal applied to spar urathane. Get a long lasting wood finish with it. Sorry can't help dude.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If it were me, I'd spray a dry coat or two of clear from a rattle can. Once these have dried thoroughly, I'd apply a coat or two of your varnish. Just don't use shellac.

Remember one thing, varnish tends to burn the paint. I'm sure it will do the same to a digital print.

Sign_Boy

If it were me, I'd spray a dry coat or two of clear from a rattle can. Once these have dried thoroughly, I'd apply a coat or two of your varnish. Just don't use shellac.

Remember one thing, varnish tends to burn the paint. I'm sure it will do the same to a digital print.

That was my main concern

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Isn't it past your bedtime ??

You need to start resting up for the mixer next week...........

Mosh

I have some lettering that I sprayed with "frog juice" and has been on around 5 years with no problems.