• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Splicing Mesh Banner

akpatterson

I may have bitten off more than I can chew this time- I'm putting together a 20'x8' mesh banner. I saw that someone recommended using vinyl cement- thank you!- can I use that to splice with as well? Plus, this is only going to be up until Halloween- do I have to roll the edges or will cutting squares of material to beef up where the grommets go work ok for a temporary banner?

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
mesh is pretty strong so you may not have to reinforce the edges but I would if you're worried at all. We usually just use regular banner tape to splice the seam (we do a 2" overlap) and fold the edges (we weld most of banners now but used to tape them and it worked great). It should be easy. You'll see the splice as the holes won't line up perfectly but it's pretty minor and we do it all the time.

akpatterson

mesh is pretty strong so you may not have to reinforce the edges but I would if you're worried at all. We usually just use regular banner tape to splice the seam (we do a 2" overlap) and fold the edges (we weld most of banners now but used to tape them and it worked great). It should be easy. You'll see the splice as the holes won't line up perfectly but it's pretty minor and we do it all the time.
I had been using tiger tape, but I'm nervous since it's going to be outside the whole time. Most of what I've done has been outside for the duration of an event and then stored so this is a little new for me. I couldn't find the H-66 cement, but I did get what was marketed as the strongest vinyl cement Lowes had. Holds really well in testing unless I try to peel it apart, which is a struggle, but does peel. Thank you for the advice!!

LarryB

Why would you try to seam these. Who knows if the cement will effect the ink. Also seaming with banner tape would not look good. Just sub it out to B2sign at $1.10/ft.

Superior_Adam

I would outsource it. For as cheap as you can get them it doesn't make any sense to do it in house. You may print for $0.50/sqft but your time trimming and finishing the banner wont make it worth it.

netsol

Why would you try to seam these. Who knows if the cement will effect the ink. Also seaming with banner tape would not look good. Just sub it out to B2sign at $1.10/ft.
i would also think with 2 pieces of mesh you would have very little solid contact

adhesive can't grip the air on both sides.