• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Splitting My Workstations....

DeeHutch

Ok, so right now I am using ONE station for everthing. I have on it, Flexi, Photoshop CS2, Versaworks, etc.

This machine is also used for my e-mail, somewhat personal file storage, iPod transfers, etc and limited we surfing. (Flexi Files are stored on an external drive) I know by having all this on one machine is not smart at all, which is why I am changing it....this week!

I've seen on here that alot of you have split your work stations. I came across a good deal on another machine and couldn't pass it up.

I'd like to split it up so I can continue setting up jobs while a large file is ripping so this is what i'm thinking.

One machine that is for ripping / e-mail / web surfing. Although, there are alot of times that I need to check/send/respond to e-mails while a file is ripping as well.

Anyone have any good suggestions on what I should put where?

Thanks in advance.

iSign

one to run Flexi and rip prints & store files.

The other for design work & the rest of your business

cgsigns_jamie

I have a new MacPro with 16 gigs of memory that I do all of my designing, email, invoicing, everything but rip on. I think it's easier to have everything in one place. Then I have a separate workstation that just rips print files all day.

All of our computers are connected to a file server so if something goes wrong there is always a backup. I hope you back up on a regular basis, if not then you need to start ASAP. There is nothing worse then losing data.

If you do a lot of printing where you are ripping files through out the day then I would set up the new computer to just run your printer. It frees up a lot of time when you don't have to wait for a file to rip before you can move on to another task.

Also it would be a pain to have to switch from computer to computer during the day.

P.S. I noticed your user name is SS Silverado, do you have one? I purchased a new one about 3 years ago and it's an awesome truck!! Just wish it got a little better gas mileage...

DeeHutch

Thanks for the replies. I use Flexi for set-up and design as well as photoshop.

So, I guess to make it simple i'll just make this new machine for ripping and printing files.

As for the SS, I did have one. It was a 2004, Black, every option. I sold it last fall to buy a Vette. Then the wife stepped in....... Anyways, I'm a car enthusiast, had a 1996 Impala SS before I had the SS truck and loved both of them.......

Oh yeah, We went for a Z71 Tahoe instead of the Vette....per the wife. Which still doesn't make sense to me....she has her own car, but we have two little ones and she didn't want to put us down to only "one" car that the kids could ride in. Oh well, I guess i'll get my Vette one day.

DeeHutch

Oh yeah, I failed to mention that invoicing, estimating, etc etc has nothing to do with my machines. That's all done up front on a seperate machine by my wife and mother.

I would like to look in to a server for networking and storage though but have no idea on where to start.

cgsigns_jamie

Another Chevy man, I like ya already.

I think you will be happier running your rip on a separate computer. With Flexi you can run production manager on one computer and Flexi on the other all with the same key. I have all my plotters and printers on a remoter computer with the key and then I run Flexi on my workstation and connect to the key via the network.

cgsigns_jamie

Oh yeah, I failed to mention that invoicing, estimating, etc etc has nothing to do with my machines. That's all done up front on a seperate machine by my wife and mother.

I would like to look in to a server for networking and storage though but have no idea on where to start.

All you need for a server is a computer with file sharing turned on. Then just save all your files on that computer so you have one central computer to back up. I have a "true" server running Windows Server 2003 and I have it set up so all of the computers in the office save all the files and setting on the server. So if a computer goes down I just plug in a new one and in a few minutes all their files and settings are restored automatically.

It's not too difficult set up, but if your not comfortable with all the settings pay for a local "computer guy" to come in and set it up for you. You really can "set it and forget it". I only log on to the server a few times a year to install software updates. Otherwise it does it's own thing.

iSign

Jamie,
I run Server 2003 on my server as well, & all of my workstations save to the server as well.
I wondered what you meant about the "settings" Would that be like running a "ghost" file for each workstation & putting the ghost file on the server in the even of any need to rebuild one of the workstations? You also mentioned plugging in "a new one", but I think my ghost software will allow for restoring the computer it was created from, but based on different drivers required for different machines, I don't think I could take advantage of the settings in a ghost program to help me set up a new computer to replace one of my workstations, so I thought I'd ask what you meant.

Sparky

If you need a copy Flexi designer for your non-rip computer, let me know - I got an extra that I never used.

cgsigns_jamie

Jamie,
I run Server 2003 on my server as well, & all of my workstations save to the server as well.
I wondered what you meant about the "settings" Would that be like running a "ghost" file for each workstation & putting the ghost file on the server in the even of any need to rebuild one of the workstations? You also mentioned plugging in "a new one", but I think my ghost software will allow for restoring the computer it was created from, but based on different drivers required for different machines, I don't think I could take advantage of the settings in a ghost program to help me set up a new computer to replace one of my workstations, so I thought I'd ask what you meant.

Actually I have all the workstations set up with roaming profiles. All their program settings, favorites, desktop, etc. are all saved on the server. So no matter what computer you log onto your settings are the same. I also have all the applications install disks saved to the server so when I setup a new computer it adds the icon to install the software to the desktop. If I decided to replace a computer tomorrow I could have it up and running in less then 20 minutes. Absolutely everything is saved on the server and I have two external hard drives that backup all the data.

I used to use ghost images but there are so many software updates and such it takes just as long to load a ghost and install all the updates as it does to just install updated software.

zgraphics

I have 3 stations, one with Flexi 7.0 and Photoshop cs, the other for printing I'm running Flexi 7.6 only...and the last that has everything on it. I have a external harddrive 500 g to store all my files.. and 3 computers are linked to it. I have 2 laser printers, one scanner and epson 1280 and two plotters and one mutoh 62 inch all networking.

choucove

In your type of setting where you will have two computers running art files at any time, it's best not to get an actual separate computer to use as a server (just yet) but set up one of your existing two computers to also carry the function of the server. Say you have a newer computer with a 500 GB hard drive in it. Put in another 500 GB drive and create a mirrored RAID array to create that data redundancy just in case, and perhaps if you have one, back up your data to an external drive as well. All of your artwork files would then be saved in one folder on say your RIP computer, which is shared to your local network, and can be viewed and accessed fully by your design computer.