• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sponge question 1604

Joop

Got a Valuejet 1604... still getting used to it.
Question, how fast does the average sponge last? I just changed both of them the other day and the one close to the docking station is already saturated. Is that normal? I can post a pic if necessary.

P

ProWraps™

its normal. the vj's spit every pass. it will saturate very quickly.

Joop

Yeah but the one gets a lot more saturated than the other... maybe because of the auto cleanings too?

P

ProWraps™

one is a spittoon pad. one is called something else, i cant remember right now. which one are you refering to? the spitoon pad is the one that will get spit on every pass. the other is what is up against the head when it parks itself.

Joop

Well I don't know what they are called, but the one on the right side of the printer under the display screen is the one that is saturated. These photos were taken about 4-5 days after both sponges were replaced. I have only run 2 small jobs on this machine since replacement.

Attachments

• left side.jpg
    left side.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 88
  • right side.jpg
    right side.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 100

QuickSignsSA

I have a 1614 and I rinsed my sponge out and put it back... Next time it will get full I'll replace it. The one on the other side, I thought was a backup so that you could just replace from there, and than order another one so your not stuck without another sponge, LOL

Joop

that's normal the one on the left gets the most put onto it.

So it says to replace the sponge after 2 months, but if this is after a week... just seems odd.

The sponge I just replaced was totally black, and for some reason it was out of it's holder and sitting on a piece of metal, oozing everywhere. I just don't want that to happen again.

QuickSignsSA

So it says to replace the sponge after 2 months, but if this is after a week... just seems odd.

The sponge I just replaced was totally black, and for some reason it was out of it's holder and sitting on a piece of metal, oozing everywhere. I just don't want that to happen again.

Guess business must be good! Oozing means a lot of prints?

jiarby

They start to swell after a couple months... but it is normal for them to be wet and look saturated. That thing just drains directly into the waste tank and it's job is to keep the nozzles wet by squirting ink on every pass.

Joop

They start to swell after a couple months... but it is normal for them to be wet and look saturated. That thing just drains directly into the waste tank and it's job is to keep the nozzles wet by squirting ink on every pass.

that's what I wanted to hear. Thanks!

Color Dude

The upper spittoon pads on the right side of course will get more saturated. The under pad is called the absorber. You can order just the pads by themselves or you can purchase the spittoon pad kit which includes the pad and tray. The tray will get saturated with ink and this will make the tray bow up or downward causing the spitton pad to either touch the head or cause a misting if it sags.

Keep and eye on it and replace as needed.

We carry all of those parts.