• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Spyware

John L

I have a notebook that has recently getting slower, especially when online. I also noticed popups and some browser hijacking going on too. Not all the time, but something is going on.

I tried running adaware but it gets to the screen where you delete the infections found and then shuts down adaware unexpectedly.

I am in safe mode now running it again. Hopefully that will do it but, if not... any other suggestions?

high impact

I had a browser hijacker and security tango didn't touch it! Shovel is correct though - the tango works great for spyware, I have a clean machine now! hahaha Techman sent me a link (I will post it here for you as soon as I find it) and that is what you need to do - you must go into the registry and clear it out manually.

Here is the link

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=88420

Shovelhead

I had a browser hijacker and security tango didn't touch it! Techman sent me a link (I will post it here for you as soon as I find it) and that is what you need to do - you must go into the registry and clear it out manually.

It doesn't claim to remove hijackers, except coolwebsearch. That's a whole different ballgame.

high impact

...I also noticed popups and some browser hijacking going on too...

You are correct Shovel but...

He most likely has a browser hijacker. The tango does work very well for spyware - it is quite a drawn out process but it does work for spybots.

John L

Yeh, the hijacking was obviously tied to a key logging type of spy... If I netsearched google for "adaware" or "Spybot search and destroy".. it would return with a new popped up window and a cleverly worded ad for some adware remover software being sold.

It is running the tango steps now. i will also follow the link above. and thanks!

Shovelhead

Yeh, the hijacking was obviously tied to a key logging type of spy... If I netsearched google for "adaware" or "Spybot search and destroy".. it would return with a new popped up window and a cleverly worded ad for some adware remover software being sold.

It is running the tango steps now. i will also follow the link above. and thanks!

Are you using Internet Explorer?

binki

spybot search and destroy from safer networking. works great and blocks bad sites. best of all it is free.

John L

Thanks for the comments, Sorry for the delay. I had to allocate time to run all of these.

I did the tango exactly as described. I followed the majorgeeks info that High Impact posted (that was intense, but I didnt actually find any of those files).

It now seems to run somewhat faster and I havent had the hijacking again so far.

Got my fingers crossed. Many Thanks