• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Squeegee marks on lamimated vinyl

FASTSIGNS11702

We keep getting squeegee marks on our laminted vinyl. We use felt strips and still get "streaks". Any suggestions on what else to try?

JBurton

Signtologist
Wet the squeegees, never thought to try ipa, lager would be my first thought.
Naw but really, I use rapidtac to wet it, but water would work fine.

Try to use less pressure, use the 30 degree angle and let the vinyl guide you, try to follow a pattern that looks like this: ((( | ))) rather than /// or ||| . The more experience you gain the less pressure will be used

visual800

i use these

caribmike

Retired with a Side Hustle
Apart from using RapidTac and water, I have these felt squeegee covers that work very well. Additionally, we often give a finished sign surface a good wipe down with 90% ipa as others have suggested.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Generally, just a bit of water works well. Also, make sure your squeegees are clean and haven't picked up any kinda particles.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Keep the vinyl rolled up or covered until you are ready to install so it doesn't collect shop dust. Wipe the squeegee edge periodically as you go along. The light marks seem to disappear on their own with post heat or a little time in the sun.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
You might try post heating it with a propane torch.. A wrap technique I was taught! be very cautious though not to over do.. it usually removes most light scratches

Possibly a dumb question, but anything special about the propane torch over a hot air gun?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's not really a dumb question, but I used to use a heat gun and found I could control a flame better. Now, nothing but a torch. For removing old vinyl, a heat gun or even a hair dryer.

ikarasu

Possibly a dumb question, but anything special about the propane torch over a hot air gun?
A torch gets to the temp you need it to almost instantly.. A heat gun takes 20-30 seconds to heat up then like 10 seconds to warm up the vinyl.

A torch is more dangerous because of how hot it gets and how fast it gets that hot, so you can screw up vinyl easier - but once you're used to it, it decreases your wrap time quite a bit.

I don't like post heating certain vehicles with a torch (sprinter vans) as it's easier to apply a more consistant heat with a gun. But for everything else, a torch is better.

Last edited:

DanL 57703

As far as squeege marks, wet the felt with water or RapidTac and if they are going outside the sun would remove them otherwise use a heat gun.