• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Squeegee Pressure

Sign-Man Signs

Any idea on how much pressure is applied to a hand squeegee when applying transfer tape to vinly. Ok. Here's the reason for the question. A roller type hand laminator I've been thinking of making. I use the typical plastic or metal squeegee now to apply transfer tape to vinyl. Sometimes we get a bunch of repetitious work and a roller would be good. I tried the Skeeter one time and just to much trouble to use. Guess I could use trial and error method but with al the brain-e-acks here, I figured someone would have the answer. All smartazz answers welcome. At least I'll get a laugh even if I don't get a answer.
:thankyou:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Any idea on how much pressure is applied to a hand squeegee when applying transfer tape to vinly. Ok. Here's the reason for the question. A roller type hand laminator I've been thinking of making. I use the typical plastic or metal squeegee now to apply transfer tape to vinyl. Sometimes we get a bunch of repetitious work and a roller would be good. I tried the Skeeter one time and just to much trouble to use. Guess I could use trial and error method but with al the brain-e-acks here, I figured someone would have the answer. All smartazz answers welcome. At least I'll get a laugh even if I don't get a answer.
:thankyou:

If one uses a plastic hand squeegee correctly (est. 10%, + or - 9%, of the members of Signs 101), one drags the squeegee with sufficient force to cause it to flex ... then you are exerting between 10 and 15 pounds of down force. And yes, I measured it a while back.

If one uses a plastic hand squeegee incorrectly (est. 90%, + or - 89%, of the members of Signs 101), one pushes the edge of the squeegee with sufficient force to knife into and push mercilessly at the vinyl ... then you are exerting up to as much as the full body weight of the operator in down force.

AUTO-FX

I remember seeing one on the market somewhere. Had a hand crank on the side.Sorry this doesnt anwser your question, but i felt compelled to mention it.

Sign-Man Signs

I remember seeing one on the market somewhere. Had a hand crank on the side.Sorry this doesnt anwser your question, but i felt compelled to mention it.

It was called a Skeeter. I bought one and it was just to difficult to use. Once you had it set though it work well.

lexsigns

Friend of mine made a roller type thing- just pulls the whole sheet over- works great then can use a felt squegee barely any pressure-still waiting for mine.
I sometimes use another roll of transfer tape to push it and then a felt..depends on the job and my mood I guess. My answer is no idea how much pressure it really is. I use plastic ones when plain ol applying

ChicagoGraphics

They use to have a hand held tranfer taper, looked just like a tape gun only bigger, I use to have one but tossed it years ago. Now i just use my laminator if I have anything to mask.

tsgstl

It depends on what I am covering.

Cut vinyl pretty hard because I hate losing a letter and having to fiddle without having a third arm

If it is printed full sheets, very very little, just enough to do it. If its to hard its a pain getting it off, or if you have slight creasing in the tape it doesn't effect the vinyl.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
It depends on what I am covering.

Cut vinyl pretty hard because I hate losing a letter and having to fiddle without having a third arm

If it is printed full sheets, very very little, just enough to do it. If its to hard its a pain getting it off, or if you have slight creasing in the tape it doesn't effect the vinyl.
Any of our tools except the Laminator Tool does a pretty good job of laying down the masking. You don't need to mask printed full sheets to mount it with the Big Squeegee. The amount of pressure will depend on the type of mask and how long it will be before it is mounted. Paper masks generally need a couple of hours for the glue to get a good grip but if you need it right away a hard squeegee could be helpful. Clear choice does not need a lot of pressure and should be mounted without delay.

Some vinyls accept the tape better than others. Losing a letter can be caused from cutting too deep on the plotter. Before you blame the tape or the tool...:banghead: check the depth of the cut.

tsgstl

I'm not talking about paper sticking to the back of a letter because I cut to deep. I'm talking about losing a letter because the app tape didn't pick up a letter when you remove the backing. That's why I press hard for text (I.E. dots of "i")

I'll take your word on adhesives of app tape working better if sat around, although honestly the difference has to be very minimal. I have never noticed a big noticeable difference. If I cut something it rarely sits around unless I am installing off site.

The "big squeegee" is awesome, but for 18"x24" full coverage coro I would still mask trim and apply freehand. It works quicker for me and I press very lightly when masking. I have bloodied my nose at least a half dozen times by careless app tape removal.

EDIT: I try and exclusively use Main Tape. It is cheap for one, has the perfect amount of grip, it rarely has dented edges causing tears and some brands seam to get creasing on longer masks even when applied perfectly straight.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
...but for 18"x24" full coverage coro I would still mask trim and apply freehand. It works quicker for me and I press very lightly when masking. I have bloodied my nose at least a half dozen times by careless app tape removal...
I have heard a few say this and I just can't wrap my head around the idea. I can mount an 18" X 24" print in about the same time it would take me to mask a print. To me it sounds like about 4 times the work and a waste of masking tape.