• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Standard/common practice question

Kemble

We do a lot of commercial truck wraps and sometimes phone numbers & names are designed into the wrap. Every once in a while, we need to change the phone number or name on the vehicle and a new panel is warranted due to the nature of the design.

How often do you guys print names, phone numbers, addresses, etc as separate overlays instead of baking them into the design and install those after the wrap is completed? What is your experience on durability, customer quality expectations, etc on doing it this way?

Just looking to get feedback on what most wrap shops do.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
They are generally "baked in", but if the customer anticipates that the number might change, I'll suggest adding that as an overlay. But even that - depending on how much time goes by between the install, and the actual number change.... it's very difficult to remove vinyl from vinyl without destroying the vinyl underneath. In those cases we have to reprint the underlay as well - which may or may not match exactly... depending on how much time and weather has passed. If they think they "might" change their number, talk them into spot graphics, so the item to be changed/updated is by itself on the vehicle, and not other vinyl.

2B

I always assumed the overlays were done to ensure the text/number is straight and falls exactly where you want it, I never even thought about people changing phone numbers.
While we typically try to "bake" the number in, we also take into account the vehicle and placement.
It is more important to have the Phone #, URL, and E-mail be true, straight, and properly placed

99% no one will know it is an overlay unless they are touching it

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Unless they want some silly drop shadowing, which has to be "baked" in. Can't overlay that. ... I've been asked if we could do that. Replace a phone number or whatever as a snipe layover on a complex design... Big fat no, it's going to look stupid.
99% no one will know it is an overlay unless they are touching it

MikePro

potato tomato. pick your poison:
-slapping on a printed overlay for the name/number change is cheaper/easier than production/removal of vinyl on vinyl
-layering vinyl on vinyl adds to cost of the wrap. although it may save headache/time of getting the text in the wrap absolutely perfect with the lines of the body or align between tiles, or having to make sure your layout/scale is absolutely perfect in advance.

MrDav3C

I think this depends on the vehicle and the artwork. A lot of wraps we overlay text on the top as a cut vinyl graphics, particularly if the text is going to be in a stretched area so it avoids any potential distortion.

Also when text / logos fall over a tiled area in a print, it can be challenging to make this line up 100% accurately. You can get away a lot more with tweaking a background image so it tiles correctly than text or logos.