• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

/start rant

thinksigns

SnowFlake
So this guy comes in yesterday asking about getting a banner with an x-stand. I tell him the different sizes and prices. He then produces a b&w printout on 11" x 17" of what he wants on the banner. The "artwork" is already blurry on his printout, but it is all he has. I tell him I will re-create his logo using a standard script, create a couple of brushes to put with it, scan the sketch and do the layout for an additional $45.

He comes in this morning with a blank cd. He says "to be totally honest, I'm just a small business man so I went shopping around. Kinko's is having a sale on banners and they will do it for $92 and I was hoping to pay you $45 to create the file for them to print." So I replied with "I'm a small business person to, and I'm not in the business of creating art for someone to take to another shop. How much is Kinko's going to charge you to create the art?"

"Well, I'm not sure but it was more than you."

"That's why they can charge less for the banner."

After a few seconds of silence, he got up and left.

The nerve of some people.

Hicalibersigns

You win some, you lose some and some get rained out.

We had a guy come in and order 3 real small estate sign with nice steel frames. Pays his deposit. He's a real pain regarding the layout and changes, but we get it done and he approves it. Then he calls and says I decided I only want one of those signs right now. We explain the price for a single is very different from the price of all three. He just never shows for any of it. Then the other day he sends a connect request on LinkedIn. WTF?

Move on to someone that you can make money with. Next.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
It's a real challenge to let the public know that artwork is not a "freebie" service. It's no different than having a plumber fix a leaky sink - even if he doesn't use any parts.

That's why we got into the wholesale print side. We don't do art for this reason exactly. You guys on the retail side have it tough, but the rewards can be great if you get your attitude and verbiage right!

slappy

i love it! (your response to him!) good for you! I hate people anymore! What nerve! I'd call Kinko's and see how much they actually would charge for artwork to something similar just in case he comes back.
Then charge him the same as Kinkos if he were to show his face again. When he ask why your more then last time you can say you had a sale going on the last time he was in, but it's over now :)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Had a girl come in Monday requesting a sign. She showed me the artwork and I asked her if she had it in vector format ?? She said I suppose so, what's that ?? Oh boy......... Rather than explain, I told her it would cost about $145 to re-create it. She said, before you do that, let me look around and see if we have what you need.

Yesterday, a day later, I was copied in on an e-mail to an ad agency which is charging her $135.00 to do it for her. What a savings............

I get an e-mail today asking if I can use a .jpg or a .tiff ?? The agency wants to know which one they should use.

I sent back, neither, I already have that format. You want a vector file. Have them call me and I'll explain. :frustrated:

I have no idea if she paid to have her already raster image..... re-rasterized or what, but some people are just plain ditzes.
graphic designer.jpg