• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

starting a new business ( need help)

spidex

Hi there,

I’m trying to start a similar business to whatisbilk.com (wall decals) and I am hoping to get some tips and advice on the various variables of this business.

• Which type of vinyl decals should I use?
  • The Oracal 651 or 631 series? Are Avery tapes better?
  • What transfer tape should I use?
  • How should I apply the transfer tape?
    • Is there any form of machinery to help?
    • I’m on a budget but I like to produce my own merchandise in the most efficient way.
  • I’m working with rather lengthy pieces of vinyl and I would like to mass produce these wall decals, how can I ensure that the integrity of the vinyl retains after the transfer tape is apply? Is there any tricks/tips/advice?
  • How long would the transfer tape stay to the decal without damage? What is the storage procedural?

As part of research, I bought some of bilk product; they were so well transferred and laminated. I’m focusing my business on design but would like this processed to be figured out.

Last but not least, are there any companies out there that would take the job of mass producing these at an affordable price? I’m also looking into the wholesale option if this business is feasible.

Please advise and thanks for the help

k.a.s.

The website is blik not bilk. I would think you would just have to get some vinyl @ tape and try it. It should work but I don't know I don't usally stick vinyl to walls.

Kevin

jiarby

In my opinion you are asking the wrong questions...

Sites like that (Blik, Fatheads, SkinIT, etc...) are about two things:

1. Content: CONTENT IS KING! Licensing deals (NFL, Nintendo, Threadless, etc..) give these sites content that their competition cannot get, and attracts an audience. Takes big $$ upfront to get licensing.

2. Marketing: A great web site and a shopping cart system THAT WORKS is not an easy thing to do yourself and quite expensive if you have to pay for development and support. TV ads, Magazines, Oprah endorsement, etc.. You will have none of that. Branding, packaging, labeling, CRM system, print pieces (cards, brochures, fliers, vehicle wraps, event marketing & promotions are all important.

You are focused on MANUFACTURING... and that is the easiest piece. Anyone can figure out how to apply transfer tape to cut vinyl.

Get a vinyl monkey, pay him bananas. Then you can focus on the BIG BRAIN stuff: Content & Marketing and keep the monkey busy.

Write a business plan AND a marketing plan.

To stay on topic:
A $75 big squeegee will mask reasonably sized stuff.
A $700 sheeter works great on 24" roll stuff
A $5000 laminator is a PITA, but works well once you learn how to load it and get the pressure right.

A 50yd roll of black costs $80. Get some. Cut into 36" pieces. Mask them. Who cares if you waste it. Think of it as a $100 training class. You will have 50 practice pieces. I'll bet by piece #12 you are pretty good at it.

Did you hear the joke about the violinist that steps off the train and asks the first guy he sees "Excuse me, Do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall"? The guy replies... "Sure I do! Practice, practice, practice!"

spidex

thanks for the feedback and tips. Well the purpose of my post is to speed up the trial procedural on the manufacturing. Unfortunatly I havent been able to find those monkeys.

jiarby

You can't read in a forum how to get good at masking vinyl. You gain experience by doing it. Vinyl Monkeys are available on Craigslist. Watch all the youtube videos you can find.

Your business will not fail because you do not know how to mask vinyl. It will fail because you do not have a product that people want to buy. It will fail because you do not know how to reach the people that DO want to buy. (Content & Marketing.... again)

spidex

gotcha. So far i have failed badly in making the products and the money lost in production been hurting.

jiarby

Don't try to be BLIK today...you can't do that.

Be YOU. You are good at this.

Find a niche market, make 3-4 products. Demonstrate them, make banner ads on forums where these people hang out, do home shows... whatever. Maybe it is home/wifey stuff. Maybe scrapbook stuff.

That's where the business/marketing plan comes in.

Who are your customers?
Where are your customers?
How can you reach your customers?
What do they buy?
Where do they buy it now?
What do they like?
What will they pay?
Why will they choose me?
Who is my competition?
What do they do well?
How can you over come that?
What do they do poorly?
How can you exploit that?

Then...

How can I MFG the product?
Waht materials can I use?
Where do I buy them?
What does it cost to make?
How can I cut costs?
What is my overhead?
How can I reduce it?
What do I have to sell at to make a profit?
What does my volume have to be monthly to break even?
How long until I apply at WalMart? or...
How long until I can quit my day job?
How do I collect Sales Tax?

and on and on and on///

how do I mask vinyl is just one little sub question that matters to the overall success of your business, and probably one that matters the least. If you are making sales you will figure out the vinyl.

P

ProWraps™

wait, didnt i just read this thread, on another thread with the same questions and the same poster.. damn i havent even started drinking yet today. wtf is going on. oh well i post what i posted on the other one. go get a job at fast signs. quit after 6 months. start your biz.

spidex

sorry i got a crazy over getting answers and found that the other thread had similar topic and asked there as well. Jiarby Thanks for the tips ! I will work on that !