• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Starting out!

skunkplow

Was it worth the upgrade? more icons? . I'm sure they still have the command option. Just don't use it much anymore. Corel has all the snap to midpoint,etc 50.00 is that the LE version, good price on a 4,000.00 program

As opposed to 14? I don't think so. The only upgrade I see beneficial to AC really has been from 12 to 13.

Mechanical Desktop/Solid works ect. are the CAD programs I would use if I were a draftsman.

It's the full blown program, not lite. They do have lite at Staples now, which I thought was kinda cool.

Former member

Welcome Aboard.
Go with a decent 24" plotter... you'll get alot of use out of it. You will probably not encounter much that would require a larger plotter. Get yourself a copy of Flexi sign, some vinyl, mask and start rockin!
Sub out your print work initially ( if you get any)

A printer/cutter is a big leap of faith and requires a tremendous amount of commitment when starting out. Your first printed & laminated sticker will cost you about $25K when all is said and done. Hold off till your business can sustain it.

I've found it to be great business and very fulfilling. You get to meet a wide variety of people and if you market yourself properly you'll get to do the kind of work that you like to do, whatever that may be.
It's also pretty cool feeling to see your work around town.

Former member

I would also recommend reading up... alot, not just about signs, but also on graphic design principles, marketing, and branding. Thats the stuff that'll really set you apart!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Welcome to the list.
Autocad may be less useless than some think, depending on what you are doing.
Can you get a clean ai line drawing export from it?
If you can then AC and Corel or Illustrator can be used together for a lot of things.
I use Rhino 3D and it has some very good drawing tools not found in either Corel or Illustrator.
For basic vinyl plotting it has limited use but I use Rhino for everything from shop drawings to estimating material costs to quick renders to show the customer what to expect.
You can easily layout something in 3d, get the viewport perspective then export out the drawing with hidden line removal and have an accurate 2d illustration that can be edited In AI or CD for printing or plotting.

Good luck with your business

wayne k
guam usa

skunkplow

Okay... More design ideas. Your critiques are welcome! These were done in powerpoint at work. I can't download any fonts (firewall won't let me).

Attachments

• sacred heart 2.jpg
    sacred heart 2.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 142

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Those are not design ideas...they are color ideas.......you are putting the cart before the horse.

An "idea" or "concept" for your logo is probably going to benefit you way more than AutoCad/Corel/Illustrator skills so concentrate on the idea of the logo...not to see if the colors are going to work on flat black with squishy type because you can't download a font.

I spend 5 minutes to scrawl this out-poorly prooportioned, not perfect, ground breaking or great...just an example of getting the idea out of your head!!!...then when you get ideas out, software it to your "hearts" content.....

Attachments

• sacred-1.jpg
    sacred-1.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 123
  • sacred-2.jpg
    sacred-2.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 124

Sign_Boy

Those are not design ideas...they are color ideas.......you are putting the cart before the horse.

An "idea" or "concept" for your logo is probably going to benefit you way more than AutoCad/Corel/Illustrator skills so concentrate on the idea of the logo...not to see if the colors are going to work on flat black with squishy type because you can't download a font.

I spend 5 minutes to scrawl this out-poorly prooportioned, not perfect, ground breaking or great...just an example of getting the idea out of your head!!!...then when you get ideas out, software it to your "hearts" content.....

Nicely put:thumb:

OldPaint

iam with techman.
rick, nice sketch.....BUT
I DONT CARE WHAT YOU DO WITH THOSE WORDS AND GRAPHIC....
its so wellworn as HOSPITAL/CATHOLIC CEMETARIES/CHURCHES....
and the GRAPHIC IS A TATOOT PARLOR STANDARD...
waste of time....to even pursue....

Rick

Back off....I'm beating this dead horse until there is nothing left but a little nub of fur and gristle!

arrghiamapirate

Need to chime in here. AutoCAD can be used in conjunction with other programs like Illustrator. I am not going to say I recommend making graphics with it, but if you feel comfortable, start that way.
I would kill the sacred heart idea, you aren't running a tattoo shop or Catholic school out of it.You may find out that you offend more people that could be potential customers by selling their religious iconography as a marketing ploy.
The field can be rewarding but like with anything the person running it determines its success more so than the product.

OldPaint

there is an old "rehab, AA" story that really sums this up:
guy(who has been in AA/rehab) walkin down the street. 1st person he passes says "happy thanksgiving." well our guy knows its the middle of july and that person was wrong.
strolls on another block or so, passes a 2nd person that says "happy thankgiving." well now he sorta questions what HE thinks about the time of year. hummmmmm
walks on futher and a 3rd person tells him.... "happy thanksgiving."
TIME TO BUY A TURKEY DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!
bottm line is...WHEN 3 people tell ya your idea SUCKS..........TIME TO CHANGE.... or stick with your addiction))))))))))
RICK))))).........nothin left except maggot food))))))))))))

Rick

We need another horse.....

Hey, I got something out of it, my kid is using the sketches for something he is doing....

Rick

Who said anything about happy ending....teenage boy with hormones, and a father trying to light a fire under his arse, a recipe for disaster...

Kevin T

I hear ya. I have one in college who has the motivation of a turnip....but all the answer in the universe.