• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Starting out

broli4000

Hello all,

For the past 2 days, I have been lurking on the site, viewing everything that I can in an effort to get some more insight into what i may not know. I apologize now for what will be a very long post.

:Oops:

First a bit of a background on me:

I am 21 years old and have been in printing and signs since I was 17. I started out in commercial printing as an assistant and worked up into the pre-press department while I attended an art college.

After my stint there, I went to work for a sign company that did nothing but produce real estate signs in very large quantities. Had the chance to work in every aspect of the company from customer service to production.

Then went back to the print field working for the largest printing franchise in the US as a regional franchise representative. Pretty big words for someone that went to all the stores in my area and helped them be profitable. I actually had to do a lot of work teaching some stores how to make signs, since they were starting to get into that as well.

---------------------

So as you can see I have been around the game for a bit now and would like to open up my own sign shop for my own reasons.

With all of that said, I am looking to buy a 24" Graphtec [FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]CE5000-60, and work from that for the time being until I can afford to start doing digital prints as well. Total cost for everything that I can think of up till this point has been around $4500. I am getting a package that includes LXI, and Estimate with the plotter.

My area is a pretty rural one sandwiched between 2 larger towns with sign shops, but none within about 15 miles of my shop. There are a lot of car dealerships in the area along with a lot of builders and contractors. I plan on sharing a space with my father's business until money allows for my own spot. It has a nice garage bay that I can use to keep out of the weather on any vehicle lettering job.

I figure that most of my business will start out as coro yard signs and vehicle lettering/graphics until the word of mouth starts up and I can start fully selling (and out sourcing) digital work, and POS signs.

Now with all of that being said (a mouthful too) what am I missing or delusional about before I put myself out on the chopping block?

PS: I am also thinking about getting a heat press and doing shirts as well to help compliment the business, but know nothing about how to do it or what I need.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Ken

Hi broli4000?
Welcome from BC.
Good on ya for wanting to start your own biz.
Cheers!
Ken

wildhock

Welcome!

Sounds like you have put some thought into what you want to do. You should also consider putting all those thoughts onto paper in the form of a business plan so you know what you need to make and how you plan to make it.

As far as doing heat transfer shirts, that can be a good source of additional revenue. I would recommend a 16x20 swinger model. Decent ones anywhere from 1000-1500. Once you have that, you can cut material with your cutter and apply wity your press.

Good Luck.

Jon

cOrKinSA

...[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]PS: I am also thinking about getting a heat press and doing shirts as well to help compliment the business, but know nothing about how to do it or what I need.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Welcome from South Texas!!!
Since you are starting of you can't go wrong with a Heatpress. I have a Digital Knight 14x16 Clamshell and I am liking it. You can probably get one a little cheaper off Ebay. The method of creating a pattern is just like cutting vinyl except you heatpress it on.
You said you have alot of businesses around so send the potential clients a free shirt but I usually give mine away when they pick up there jobs. It makes them aware of my services and encourages them to place an order because they love that they look professional in front of their clients.
With all this said welcome once again to Signs101!

weaselboogie

That's how much I started my business with. New plotter, vinyl and an existing computer in the basement. I was only there for 2 months before I needed to get a commercial location. Get business cards made up and get rid of them like Enron stock. Get a coffee, give them a card. Network like crazy.

MrKoob

You're one of the few noobs that actually has a legitimate background and interest in this industry. You don't seem at all like one of those guys that come in here saying "I'm wanting to make window stickers." For that I say Thanks and Welcome aboard.

D&Tgraphics

I wish all the newbs came here and presented themselves like you did. You make sence and it seems like you've put some real thought into this venture and plan on making some money at it.

So, Welcome from NY.

jscarl

Welcome from mid Michigan. Just wondering, with all the experience and knowledge you say you have, why are you starting off at the bottom of the hill.???

broli4000

Well thank you to everyone. Yes I have put about the past 6 months into thinking about this and trying to get the wife excited about it. I hope I'm not too close to anyone as I will be doing business on the MD/PA line.

Well just about 2 weeks ago I was let go from my job for something that I feel was a bit ridiculous and a bit of a misunderstanding at best. So since the planning was there, I just have gotten tired of working harder and caring more about a business than the owner I work for.

Now with that being said, I obviously am sort of funding challenged as it is and really don't have the ability to drop $20k on a printer and a bit more on a laminator and start doing wraps. That and almost all of the signs I have been doing for a while now have been just cut vinyl. Now granted I just think that it hasn't been sold properly, but I don't want to be the one to invest and try and sell a product no one wants in my area yet.

As far as a heat press. I was able to find a...JetPress 12 Swing Away - 9" x 12" Heat Platen for really cheap. Seems like I have seen these around at shirt shops and photography studios when I am there. Just wanted to know what you all thought of these as well.

Thanks again guys and gals!
Matt

Doyle

welcome

Be prepared to make no money at first...... might take a while, months, even a couple years to start seeing any real money, depending on how you market you business. I started out kinda like you are, except I took over a dwindling shop that my Dad had started and never followed through with. Took over ownership when I was 20 (with annual sales around $40k) and now 25 I am selling in excess of $100k. Profits are enough to pay my bills and feed my family.

I also share a building with my Dad and his business right now, and it has been great (can't beat the rent, all I have to do is pay all the utilities about $400-$500 mo.) if the opportunity is there, it will definitely help you get a head start, leasing or buying a commercial space can be pretty expensive.

Forget the digital printers and fancy equipment for now, you can make lots of money with just a computer/plotter and a little knowledge. There are lots of contract printers out there that will sell you digitally printed products for so cheap it sometimes seems a waste to have a printer.

Sounds like you are on the right track, with experience in the industry already, you are a few steps ahead of the majority of people who start sign shops now..... Price your work correctly and do good work.... keep your customers happy and you will do fine!!!

Best of luck

wildhock

I was able to find a...JetPress 12 Swing Away - 9" x 12" Heat Platen for really cheap. Seems like I have seen these around at shirt shops and photography studios when I am there. Just wanted to know what you all thought of these as well.

Thanks again guys and gals!
Matt

Matt,

You will benefit from going with a 15x15 or better yet a 16x20 platen. You won't use all of the space but it will help for layout.

Jon

thesignexpert

Matt,

I love seeing this kind of thread and would have to echo the compliments on taking the time to think your new business venture through. It is exactly for guys like you that I put together all of the free resources on the TheSignExpert.com website! I hope you take some time to check it out and benefit from the info.

As for the best advice you could get... keep coming back here to Signs101 to participate with & benefit from all of these fine sign folk. You will be very hard pressed to find a better collection of professional sign industry guys & gals. You have found a whole group of people who will be more than willing to help you thru your tough times and celebrate with you thru the good ones.

Just remember to keep those expenses down,... network, network, network,... and never underestimate the value of what you provide to your market area.

Good Luck!

Tim Evans

The Sign Expert .com
"Practical Help for Sign Professionals"

Pro Sign and Graphics
"A Pro Sign made Easy"

broli4000

Matt,

I love seeing this kind of thread and would have to echo the compliments on taking the time to think your new business venture through. It is exactly for guys like you that I put together all of the free resources on the TheSignExpert.com website! I hope you take some time to check it out and benefit from the info.

Thanks Tim, I actuall checked out the site this morning and got alot of really good information from it. Thanks a ton for dedicating your time and web space for helping people like me that want to legitimately get started.

I want to thank everyone or the warm welcome. I will assist with whatever questions I can answer when I see it on the boards, but my main goal is the shut up and just listen!

:U Rock:

Matt