• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Static issue??? Help!!!! Pics...

RyanFelty

When that sort of thing happens to me it is usually when my encoder strip is dirty... It may just be static but that is option 2 if the static thing doesn't pan out the way you would like. Good luck!

Andy D

It looks to me like you're running your print heads too high.
If you leave too much of a gap you get more of a "ink mist" and the static
in the material will suck it in, or worse, it will collect on your print heads.

I almost never have static issues because:
1 I run my print heads as low as is safe
2 I run a Dry micro fiber "mop" over my substrates, I have
a long wire running from inside the mop head, up the handle, and
grounded via the ground on a electrical outlet. see image below

attachment.php

3 I have also had to spray down my concrete floors with water when the humidity got real low in winter.

Attachments

• micro fiber mop.jpg
    micro fiber mop.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 178

DSC

It looks to me like you're running your print heads too high.
If you leave too much of a gap you get more of a "ink mist" and the static
in the material will suck it in, or worse, it will collect on your print heads.

I almost never have static issues because:
1 I run my print heads as low as is safe
2 I run a Dry micro fiber "mop" over my substrates, I have
a long wire running from inside the mop head, up the handle, and
grounded via the ground on a electrical outlet. see image below

3 I have also had to spray down my concrete floors with water when the humidity got real low in winter.

THIS .. Since I have posted we have figured all of these things out.. And we were running the head to high.. we stopeed wiping down with alcahol as well..

we just use the mop like you have, run the heads low, and keep a damp cloth on the edge of the gantry..

All has been well Thanks !!

BigPrintn

I run a OCE 318GL with ionizer bar.
It might have already been suggested but...
I've gotten the same results before and each time I didn't have all the vacuum zones turned on. :banghead: Which in turn changes head height giving odd prints like yours.

I'm sure you've might have checked this, if not it might be the problem.

Good Luck!

DravidDavid

I also have the 250GT and there are a few things you need to keep in check to prevent this. It also (from time to time) just happens, and you have to clean up the over-spray afterwards.

Our Oce 250GT lives on printing ACM and corflute.

When using ACM, I find a screw driver or something metal with a rubber handle to get rid of the static. It's pretty cool in the dark as you get to see the big blue flash it creates!

Corflute is a different beast. It's amazing just how battery like that plastic is when it comes to storing energy. Running the heads as close as possible to the media is critical. I use a precision digital caliper to measure all four corners after making sure there are no bunny ears. I take an average and use that as the head height making sure vacuum is above 15kpa.

Our corflute is delivered in clear plastic bags which we load on a shelf and simply pull from the stack when required. This generates a lot of static, so the anti-static bar for us is essential. It works well compared to when it is turned off, especially on ACM.

On 3.3mm corflute, the height usually comes out at 3.35 or 3.28.
ACM and Palite is more precise I found. 3mm palite and ACM I typically run at 3.10 or 3.05.

Your heads are also about 1.3mm above your media by default. So if you set it to 0mm in the printer controls, the heads are still going to be 1.3mm above the table. This means if you are conservative with your head height and enter 4.0mm for a 3mm substrate your heads are that much higher off the table leaving them susceptible to static from the platen which leads to ink drops and over-spray on the media.

Hope this helps. :)

Davidford7

First thing I would check is the humidity level and the temp in the room. If it's within range it's probably not static.

Andy D

Check on the ink bottle, it sometimes gives the info there, if not, go to the ink website and open the spec. sheet, it will tell you there.

Andy D

also, if you don't have one, you need to get a humidity/temp meter, I have two in my print room similar to this one:

attachment.php

My ink says 40% - 60% humidity, but as long as I'm over 30% I'm good.

Attachments

• extech-445815-main-lg.jpg
    extech-445815-main-lg.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 169

Nicky Zhou

PrintLinks
Do you happen to know what that range is by chance? And a way to monitor it? I can't remember if it was in the manual or not.

I have read some information before, they said to keep your room humidity 50% if you work with cardboard, paper or some humidity sensitive materials. For other materials , 60%~70% will be much better.

There is one customer face the same issue like yours, what they do is: install one static bar at both side of the lamp. you should keep a special distance for the bar to the media, normally you can consult the manufacturer, and they will test then give you the suggestion.
Then they use something like towel to wet and clean the materials before printing.
There is also a humidity machine there to control the room environment .

Hope that helps.

Nicky