• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stay CS6? Or Upgrade to CC? What am I gaining?

OADesign

Hi All,
This is for the Adobe guys. The ones that make use of all the "other" apps in the collection.

I'm still on CS6. I got the master collection and is does everything I need it to do plus some. But Adobe is running this deal (that ends tonight) that would get me CC under 30 bucks per month.

Now, like many of us here, I am against the subscription model. Wholeheartedly. With every fiber in my body. Ef that.
Not paying you, for the rest of my life (in business). I know. I know, read the eulas etc. I get it. And I will go that way where it is needed. (might be moving up with flexi soon, Because we need more users in the shop.)

With the research I've done so far, I cant see what new features I would gain with CC. Those of you that make use of ALL the apps. What am I missing here. Is it worth it? I mean every penny counts. Adding yet another pin hole leak in my wallet just doesn't make sense if there is not real benefit to the income generating systems, other than a higher version number.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Sindex Printing

The biggest gain I found was the type kit. The image trace is a little better and just get the updates. I have one computer on cs6 and one with cc. The biggest benefit for me was having it available in multiple computers in the shop to make a small change in the file.

WildWestDesigns

The one thing that keep in mind is newer standards. Now with CS6 some things may have been able to be handled with plugins, but later iterations, they are integrated into the newer software.

That's usually something that is overlooked as it's a "boring" improvement, versus the "fun" stuff like feature sets and eye candy etc.

At some point, things will have to be either updated or an alternative used. Especially with regard to the above.

Having said that, the downside is that things can be deprecated and removed at a moment's notice and at some point you'll have to deal with it as you are forced to be no older then x-1 with regard to versions. If that functionality is mission critical, no bueno.

Also cost can change fairly quickly as well.

Pros and cons, just need to make sure which weighs more then the other and be honest in your assessment. I'm biased though, I thoroughly have no love for SaaS, but for some, it is what it is.

ikarasu

The biggest gain I found was the type kit. The image trace is a little better and just get the updates. I have one computer on cs6 and one with cc. The biggest benefit for me was having it available in multiple computers in the shop to make a small change in the file.
You know you.can install cc on 2 computers at once right?

Benefit of cc vs cs6:.

If cs6 works fine for you... Nothing. Only thing I'd say is compatibility.

I like to use cm4 to cut my files... Cm4 doesn't work with illustrator 2020 yet... Released 2-3 weeks ago?, so I'm on 2019. Every file I open that our art room created has a clipping mask, a invisible square around the object... And it's just a mess of a file. All the layers are combined.

I'd say 30% of the files they send me throw an incompatible with your illustrator error...so I have to open it with cc 2020 and save it with compatibility for 2019. And then it'll open.. with clipping masks for no reason, but at least it opens.

And that's just a one version difference. So if you accept clients Eps or AI files... It's worth an upgrade. If it's all in house... And cs6 suits you just fine, stick with 6.

OADesign

Having said that, the downside is that things can be deprecated and removed at a moment's notice and at some point you'll have to deal with it as you are forced to be no older then x-1 with regard to versions. If that functionality is mission critical, no bueno.

For the record, with a CC subscription, you get access to all the versions back to CS6 and having multiple versions, on the same machine, is possible and allowed.

I'd say 30% of the files they send me throw an incompatible with your illustrator error...so I have to open it with cc 2020 and save it with compatibility for 2019. And then it'll open.. with clipping masks for no reason, but at least it opens.
And that's just a one version difference. So if you accept clients Eps or AI files... It's worth an upgrade. If it's all in house... And cs6 suits you just fine, stick with 6.

I get that error all the time. But I have workarounds for most of the files I get, and in the case where I can't fix with a few clicks, I kick back the art and have my customers re-read the art spec paragraph that I sent the first time lol that reads save down to CS6.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If you get a majority of client files using the latest CC the harder it will be to open them without calling the customer and asking them to save down.
Just this week I started getting multi-page pdfs that would open in my CC 2019 but all the art board info was being stripped out and replaced with artboard 1 , 2 3 etc. The titles gave me variable data (product description & quantities) that I need to gang up all the pages. Real pain to go back and rename 40 to 50 art boards in multiple files.
Installing CC 2020 - fixed the issue. No need to call the client and explain why I couldn't use what they sent.

brycesteiner

If CS6 works fine and you don't get native format files, then keep with CS6. You can always upgrade when you are forced to. The price that you are getting will go up and time moves fast. The latest versions are compatibility releases for the newer OS's. If you are on the Mac version even the CC 2018 version won't install on Catalina. The programs are 64 bit but the installers are 32 bit.
There are not really any enhancements between CS6 and the latest CC.
Last year you could go back to to CS6 with CC but that has been removed. You can go back a couple years and that's about it.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
There has been a lot of incremental improvements and feature additions/enhancements to Illustrator since CS6. Enough features and effects have been added that I have to be careful about saving down to earlier versions. Newer effects like free-form gradients will break when saving down to something like CS6.

Newer plug-ins, such as the excellent ones from Astute Graphics, have been removing backward compatibility with CS6. Astute Graphics has gone to a pseudo-subscription model with its latest plug-in updates.

Typekit (now simply known as Adobe Fonts) was a pretty big deal. But that's more of an overall benefit of Creative Cloud since those fonts can be used in any application, even non-Adobe graphics applications like CorelDRAW. Typekit was a bit limited when it was first made available to Adobe CC customers (sync maximum of 100 fonts); now there is no font limit.

One thing that's a bit more specific to Illustrator CC is its support of OpenType Variable fonts (something CorelDRAW still doesn't support). A few variable fonts are built into Illustrator and not available to outside applications. Side note: Maybe Microsoft and Monotype should release a new OTF Variable version of Arial. That might help prevent some of the horrid squeezing and stretching I see applied to that default font on so many signs. But chances are the hacks who routinely distort Arial won't even bother using the OTF Variable feature since they're already working in auto pilot mode anyway.

Adobe has descriptions of improvements and enhancements made to AI CC 2020 and previous versions on its web site. Some of those features are really good. And then there's others that could make anyone wonder why the feature wasn't added 20 years ago (auto-backup, saving in the background, auto spell check).

Regarding Dolby's law suit with Adobe, no progress seems to have been made with that. I've seen no news about it since this past May. Anyone wanting to encode surround mixes from Adobe Audition in Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus formats now has to buy an after market encoder. Dolby has gone so far as to make lawsuit threats against those using older Adobe software to encode Dolby 5.1 tracks. Of course if one is authoring video to DVD or Blu-ray disc there's always the option to use DTS if one has to buy third party encoding software. DTS' software is less expensive for anyone wanting to encode lossless surround; and it works on both Mac and PC whereas Dolby's software is Mac-only. Pro-level Blu-ray disc authoring software (Sonic Scenarist, Sony Blu-code, etc) is Windows-only. Dolby's Mac-only stance with its own software is really pretty stupid since it ignores the workflow realities in many post production houses.

MH Art&Design

Want to be a Bug Tester for Adobe? Then try the new CC2020. Personally, I started using Open Source Software couple of years ago but the place I work at uses CC. The CS7 was the last "stabile Build" Adobe made and now you just pay for unsupported, buggy updates. If it ain`t broken, don`t fix it.

WildWestDesigns

Have to remember, while the Dolby fiasco got the most press, features come and go at a moments notice. When this Dolby issue first came out, there were Flash/Animate users that were complaining because there was functionality that had been removed that their workflow needed (as a 2D animator, more traditional then interpolation, but I was still a pretty often user of Flash(I don't have Animate), so there is that concern.

Features that one loves now, may be removed later and with the the forced nature of at least being x-1, you will have to deal with that version that won't have that feature . That is a problem, that was a problem even before Adobe forcing this x-1 schema on people, but even moreso now as there isn't the ability to hold on to an older version to keep that functionality, even if one also had an upgraded version on another computer to remain current.

As far as Astute Graphics go. I loved their plugins, that are great plugins. But, they are effectively subscription. There is no pseudo about it. It's worded like it's a pseudo subscription, but it effectively is subscription. What do I mean by that, goes back to Adobe forcing x-1 on people. You will have to update Ai on a regular basis, that means older plugins breaks with newer versions. That's to be expected and we don't have the option of holding on to that older version of Ai anymore to use those plugins. Effectively subscription.

Personally, I started using Open Source Software couple of years ago but the place I work at uses CC.

Oh no, you didn't bring up that vile phrase. That'll get your a proper flogging if you aren't careful.

Hi All,
This is for the Adobe guys. The ones that make use of all the "other" apps in the collection.

I'm still on CS6. I got the master collection and is does everything I need it to do plus some. But Adobe is running this deal (that ends tonight) that would get me CC under 30 bucks per month.

Now, like many of us here, I am against the subscription model. Wholeheartedly. With every fiber in my body. Ef that.
Not paying you, for the rest of my life (in business). I know. I know, read the eulas etc. I get it. And I will go that way where it is needed. (might be moving up with flexi soon, Because we need more users in the shop.)

With the research I've done so far, I cant see what new features I would gain with CC. Those of you that make use of ALL the apps. What am I missing here. Is it worth it? I mean every penny counts. Adding yet another pin hole leak in my wallet just doesn't make sense if there is not real benefit to the income generating systems, other than a higher version number.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
Several Adobe experts I have used for photo manipulation, digitizing, etc. have told me to look at Affinity software (I think it's out of the UK). I too have CS6, and I don't want to go to any subscription model. Affinity may still be on sale, and it appears to have most of the power that Adobe has, unless you're into high-end publishing.

particleman

I look at this differently than some other people. It isn't like this software is $100/m. I pay around $20/m for Illustrator which in my mind is a great value for what you receive. I use Illustrator off and on all day long probably more than any other software.

At this point you are missing out on quite a bit of useful features if you only use CS6.

- Auto Save (saved my butt many times)
- GPU Accelerated Rendering (much faster and cleaner UI)
- DPI scaling (if you use a 4k monitor you need this)
- Background Saving (you can now save large files in the background and continue to work)
- Tracing is quite a bit better than CS6
- Simplify tool now works better

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
My favorite feature in Illustrator CC is dynamic corner rounding. It is so much more precise to be able to round a corner or multiple corners independently and have them match. On this sample when tracing a letter I simply drew in 3 rectangles, joined them and then selected the inner corners and outer corners and made them all match perfectly. Doing this manually would take longer and be less precise

As mentioned by others having access to thousands of fonts is a huge benefit when typesetting

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 10.19.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 10.19.35 AM.png
    29 KB · Views: 299
  • Agree
Reactions: Bly

kcollinsdesign

Old member
If what you have works for you, then use it. It is possible, however, that updating to the latest version will work better for you (and likely it will work much better). I use both Adobe and Corel products for different projects, but mostly stay with AI and PS for day-to-day tasks. Adobe products are the professional standard, have the most features and plug-ins available, present the fewest compatibility problems, and most designers already know how to use them. As far as I'm concerned, the cost is insignificant.

It is important to keep in mind that I work alone, and my main work station is Mac based and completely up to date. All of my work is design work, which I export for production by others. In the past I have used different devices, such as dedicated hardware RIPS, PC hardware for servers, and dedicated workstations for production. Your needs will vary, use what's best for the job!

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
MH Art&Design said:
Want to be a Bug Tester for Adobe? Then try the new CC2020. Personally, I started using Open Source Software couple of years ago but the place I work at uses CC. The CS7 was the last "stabile Build" Adobe made and now you just pay for unsupported, buggy updates. If it ain`t broken, don`t fix it.

That's quite an over-generalized statement. By the way, there was no "CS7". You're assuming Adobe makes nothing but buggy software and implying the open source stuff doesn't have any bugs.

Much of the advertising industry trades logos, assets, etc in Adobe-generated form. It's a lot easier to be able to open and edit AI-generated artwork from within Illustrator than try to fight all of the compatibility issues of importing into CorelDRAW or any other rival application.

Open Source programs like Inkscape are better than nothing. But, I swear, using Inkscape is like taking a trip back to the 1990's. It's freaking crude and inefficient.

WildWestDesigns said:
As far as Astute Graphics go. I loved their plugins, that are great plugins. But, they are effectively subscription. There is no pseudo about it.

Unlike a purely subscription based system any plug-ins you buy from Astute Graphics will keep working even if you don't want to pay $119 again the following year. The software doesn't go dead. That is a major, fundamental difference from something like Adobe CC.

Now, it's out of Astute Graphics' hands with what Adobe does to Illustrator itself to break older third party plug-ins. But that has always been an issue with graphics software regardless of subscription or perpetual based license setups. Upgrades often break third party add-ons.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Really? Interesting. Adobe stuff is one of the few things I can count on that doesn't crash or give me any headaches.

WildWestDesigns

- Auto Save (saved my butt many times)

One of the things that I liked about Astute Graphics, they had a plugin for that from CS5 on that had that feature.

While cost is a good size factor for me, combine that extra cost for less control that's what tips me over. The cost of the Adobe suite is small, subscription or perpetual, in the range of software that I deal with, the Master Suite is like paying tax on one of my other software.

In a production environment, control is the biggest thing and that has gone way done, but cost has gone significantly up.

That's quite an over-generalized statement. By the way, there was no "CS7". You're assuming Adobe makes nothing but buggy software and implying the open source stuff doesn't have any bugs.

All software has bugs. Now, the workflow that causes those bugs to show up is where some bugs may not show up as soon as others. Or if it's related to hardware specifically etc. This is what also plays a part in why bugs are very rarely quashed in beta.

Now, the one key difference between say Adobe and open source, is if something is not in there or not working right, you have others (or yourself if you possess the time/inclination to do so) that fix issues that arise.

For instance, HiDPI support had been unofficially supported in Inkscape since .48 through the community, but they are just now officially getting it from the main developers.

Blender removed BGE with the latest 2.8 release. You have a project that brought BGE back, with improvements working in 2.8.

That is not an option within closed source software. I am not saying that you or I (if it's not JS or Python I can't touch it without breaking it for sure) have to do that, but that ability is there.

Now, I am not saying that that means that if it has one dev philosophy that it's automatically better then the other. The quality of the code determines that. It's all about options. I know you like options, or at least you do with your laptops.

Unlike a purely subscription based system any plug-ins you buy from Astute Graphics will keep working even if you don't want to pay $119 again the following year. The software doesn't go dead. That is a major, fundamental difference from something like Adobe CC.

Yes, but like I said, Adobe forces you to go forward with their software.

Now, it's out of Astute Graphics' hands with what Adobe does to Illustrator itself to break older third party plug-ins. But that has always been an issue with graphics software regardless of subscription or perpetual based license setups. Upgrades often break third party add-ons.

That's what I was talking about when I said "that is to be expected".

Now you are correct that what Adobe does is out of Astute's hands, but then again, they are aware of Adobe's policy of forcing this update schema. So, as the end user the option really isn't there.

If I'm not mistaken, the release of this "pseudo subscription" service was after Adobe changed their update schema.

Just seems like everything is a subscription now. Subscription here, subscription there, subscription everywhere.

Last edited: