• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Step by step guide - Onyx New media and Profiles

Mata

Hi all

After reading many posts and looking at many videos, I can’t get my head around making a new media and profile in Onyx, so I thought I would start a new thread so that any newbies like myself have a step by step guide to follow. To do this I need everyones help first and I’ll keep editing this first post with the updated info.

So I’ll start with what I know or think I know… I’ll add question in bold as I go along.

**This guide is for an Epson S60600 (dual CMYK) and Onyx 12.2, i1Pro2 and I’m creating it for a gloss adhesive vinyl**

* Create a new Workgroup if not already done so
* Open Onyx Production Manager
* Click Media Manager
* Click New > Media Group
* Give it a name i.e.
* Vinyl
* Banner
* Backlit
* Static Film
* Canvas
* Photo
* Poster
* Click OK
• A new ‘Media Group’ has now been created

**What do you call your workgroups?**

* Click Media Manager
* Click New > Media Profile
* Create a new Media
* Select Onyx Workflow
* Select the chosen media group i.e. Vinyl
* Give it a name i.e. 3M IJ180
* Ink Configuration: CMYK
* Process Colours: CMYK
* Media Type: Adhesive Vinyl
* Configure Spot Colors: Leave as it is
* Page Sizes: Leave as it is
* Print label Color: K
* Name the print mode: Standard - 720dpi, Stochastic, 4 Pass (I name this based on my selections and then I have Fast, Standard, High Quality, Best Outcome)
* Change print mode resolution: 720dpi
* Dot Pattern: Stochastic

**Is this the best dot pattern?**

* Media Options
* Print Mode: 4 Pass
* Media Setting Number: Use Panel Setting

**What is the best option here, Use panel setting or chose Media number 1, 2, 3, 4 etc?**

* Print Direction: Bi
* Print Vertical Cut Line: Off
* Margin, Feed & Dry Time: all 0
* Scale the print Width and Height: Ignore

**I have no clue what to do for ‘Scale print width and height’? So I just ignore it**

* Print Ink Restrictions Swatch: Click Print swatch
* Leave every option as it is and click print

**I’m new to Onyx, it says the media is my new media and it has a media mismatch. oN the right side pane, it says current media and page size which is different. What do I do here? Do I click the settings and change the media to my new media and manually update the page size? That will work but I wanted to be sure. **

• Click Print

**When printing this chart to save time, could I not just print 1 high quality uni directional chart and limit the ink based off that?, I’m guessing no but thought I’d ask**

• Wait for the print to dry and go back to Media Manager
• Make sure your i1Pro2 is plugged in and the drivers installed (Install i1Profiler before not done already)
• Click Read swatch
• Put the i1pro2 On the white calibration tool and click the measurement button on the i1pro2
• Now follow the on screen instructions carefully, it changes from left to right to right to left.
• I’ve set my i1pro2 to read the patches twice when I set it up
• Once done, click ok
• Now click the arrow next to ‘As necessary, make adjustments to the ink restrictions’
• Click next to go the Calibration tab
• Click Print Swatch
• Leave everything as it is and click print
• The media and size should still be correct from when you printed the last chart so click print.
• Once dry, go back to Media Manager
• Click Read swatch
• Put the i1pro2 On the white calibration tool and click the measurement button on the i1pro2
• Now follow the on screen instructions carefully, it changes from left to right to right to left.
• Once done, click ok
• Click advanced
• Click Build
• Go to the ink limits tab
• Leave as basic and click Print swatch
• Leave everything as it is and click Print
• Media and size should still be setup so click print
• Look at the chart and determine the Ink limit

**Looking at the image, 200%?**

This is as far as I have got today and I will continue tomorrow based on feedback.

Attachments

• IMG_20201016_171023.jpg
    IMG_20201016_171023.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 875
  • IMG_20201016_180301.jpg
    IMG_20201016_180301.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 362

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
If you choose Epson workflow, you can cut out all of the ink linearization and limit steps.
99% of our media is profiled using that workflow as it's much easier than the Onyx version.
We only use the Onyx workflow if we need to do something very specific (eg. deleting Red and Orange ink from the profile).

Great write up though.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Nice write up. Although this would only benefit people with Epson printers as others are different.
I’ve used the Epson workflow too. It’s so much easier and same results.

Mata

Thank you. I appreciate it's only for the Epson printers but hopefully it will give some insight into how it's done.

I've continued with the profiling and completed my first profile yesterday so I will add this to the write up. I also want to try a few other methods such as the epson workflow and using Epson Precision dot instead of CMYK and I understand this eliminates the need for the ink limit section which I find the hardest part.

Someone also mentioned about using i1Profiler to make the profile part instead of Onyx which is also another idea.

Does anyone know who to check the gamut of a profile? I've been using Gamutvision but it only seems to like V2 profiles and not V4

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Thank you. I appreciate it's only for the Epson printers but hopefully it will give some insight into how it's done.

I've continued with the profiling and completed my first profile yesterday so I will add this to the write up. I also want to try a few other methods such as the epson workflow and using Epson Precision dot instead of CMYK and I understand this eliminates the need for the ink limit section which I find the hardest part.

Someone also mentioned about using i1Profiler to make the profile part instead of Onyx which is also another idea.

Does anyone know who to check the gamut of a profile? I've been using Gamutvision but it only seems to like V2 profiles and not V4

Using i1 profiler to create icc profiles instead of onyx would have been me.

colorthink pro3 is what i use to compare profile gamut. dont know of any free software for it.

Mata

Pauly Thank you.

Wow that's expensive just to check a profile. Gamutvision is free but and I does work with Version 4 profiles but not the one from Onyx which seems strange so I can't see how big the gamut is.

Do you know anything about the differences between Production House 12.2 vs Rip-Centre 19 (Free with the printer)? You don't have the layout tool or the swatch books tabs which I have not used yet but is it worth using that to print over the Production House 12.2?

Mata

Pauly Could I also ask if you could post one of your profiles up for a gloss vinyl media so I can compare mine to yours? Are you using an Epson S60600 or S80600? I know the S80600 will have a wider gamut

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
I also profile using i1Profiler so it could also have been me.

You can compare gamut plots in i1Profiler during the last step of the process in full 3D. I use it to compare my i1 plots to Onyx generated profiles.

Mata

Does anyone have an S60600 profile they have created personally that they wouldn't mind sharing.

I'd just like to compare against something that I have done on a gloss vinyl.

I do have i1Profiler but never used it to compare profiles.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Pauly Thank you.

Wow that's expensive just to check a profile. Gamutvision is free but and I does work with Version 4 profiles but not the one from Onyx which seems strange so I can't see how big the gamut is.

Do you know anything about the differences between Production House 12.2 vs Rip-Centre 19 (Free with the printer)? You don't have the layout tool or the swatch books tabs which I have not used yet but is it worth using that to print over the Production House 12.2?

Oh in media manager you can compare profiles. media analyser i think? i'll have to check when im at work.

I dont use an Epson s60600 or any variant unfortunately for you to compare.
Just print off some test charts (onyx comes with some) to check how your colours are. or use a Granger Chart. it will show how smooth your profile is and what colours you do and dont hit.

nickt

Hi all

After reading many posts and looking at many videos, I can’t get my head around making a new media and profile in Onyx, so I thought I would start a new thread so that any newbies like myself have a step by step guide to follow. To do this I need everyones help first and I’ll keep editing this first post with the updated info.

So I’ll start with what I know or think I know… I’ll add question in bold as I go along.

**This guide is for an Epson S60600 (dual CMYK) and Onyx 12.2, i1Pro2 and I’m creating it for a gloss adhesive vinyl**

* Create a new Workgroup if not already done so
* Click Media Manager
* Click New > Media Group
* Give it a name i.e.
* Vinyl
* Banner
* Backlit
* Static Film
* Canvas
* Photo
* Poster
* Click OK
• A new ‘Media Group’ has now been created

**What do you call your workgroups?**

* Click Media Manager
* Click New > Media Profile
* Create a new Media
* Select Onyx Workflow
* Select the chosen media group i.e. Vinyl
* Give it a name i.e. 3M IJ180
* Ink Configuration: CMYK
* Process Colours: CMYK
* Media Type: Adhesive Vinyl
* Configure Spot Colors: Leave as it is
* Page Sizes: Leave as it is
* Print label Color: K
* Name the print mode: Standard - 720dpi, Stochastic, 4 Pass (I name this based on my selections and then I have Fast, Standard, High Quality, Best Outcome)
* Change print mode resolution: 720dpi
* Dot Pattern: Stochastic

**Is this the best dot pattern?**

* Media Options
* Print Mode: 4 Pass
* Media Setting Number: Use Panel Setting

**What is the best option here, Use panel setting or chose Media number 1, 2, 3, 4 etc?**

* Print Direction: Bi
* Print Vertical Cut Line: Off
* Margin, Feed & Dry Time: all 0
* Scale the print Width and Height: Ignore

**I have no clue what to do for ‘Scale print width and height’? So I just ignore it**

* Print Ink Restrictions Swatch: Click Print swatch
* Leave every option as it is and click print

**I’m new to Onyx, it says the media is my new media and it has a media mismatch. oN the right side pane, it says current media and page size which is different. What do I do here? Do I click the settings and change the media to my new media and manually update the page size? That will work but I wanted to be sure. **

• Click Print

**When printing this chart to save time, could I not just print 1 high quality uni directional chart and limit the ink based off that?, I’m guessing no but thought I’d ask**

• Wait for the print to dry and go back to Media Manager
• Make sure your i1Pro2 is plugged in and the drivers installed (Install i1Profiler before not done already)
• Click Read swatch
• Once done, click ok
• Now click the arrow next to ‘As necessary, make adjustments to the ink restrictions’
• Click next to go the Calibration tab
• Click Print Swatch
• Leave everything as it is and click print
• The media and size should still be correct from when you printed the last chart so click print.
• Once dry, go back to Media Manager
• Click Read swatch
• Once done, click ok
• Click advanced
• Click Build
• Go to the ink limits tab
• Leave as basic and click Print swatch
• Leave everything as it is and click Print
• Media and size should still be setup so click print
• Look at the chart and determine the Ink limit

**Looking at the image, 200%?**

This is as far as I have got today and I will continue tomorrow based on feedback.
Maybe you can help me out. I've been trying to make a new profile for the Epson S60600 but every attempt has been very heavy. I've tried adjusting the ink limits but that doesn't seem to change anything. Do you have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Bly

Does anyone have an S60600 profile they have created personally that they wouldn't mind sharing.

I'd just like to compare against something that I have done on a gloss vinyl.

I do have i1Profiler but never used it to compare profiles.

What RIP?
We have some Onyx 60600 profiles I can send you.

Borism25

Sorry for bringing this up from old days, but looking for some information. I have bought Epson S30610, pretty good machine for my purpose, I am printing 80% of time canvas material, but now I am getting more asking for PVC. Now my problem start on PVC, I have onyx rip center version 12.0.5.6302, I have also X-rite i1 Pro and I have some knowledge about profiles, but I can't find anything where to start, media manager is only for downloading the existing profiles, and it's only for version Onyx 18 and newer. Does it only production house can create media profiles? My problem on the machine when printing dark colors it's clearly that ink limits are too high, I get overlapping, even with temperature on max settings I can't get immediate drying, and color start to "mix".

So my questions is what software can I use for just 2 days so that I can create 3-4 profiles and import in the onyx rip center. Probably I will need to import in folder manually because I don't see anything about importing profiles.

FrankW

Current Postershop (except Postershop One) and Thrive contains the ICC-Profiler. Productionhouse is not available anymore (except as an update from a legacy Productionhouse licence). RIPCenter is the lowest edition of the Onyx RIP, with the lowest functionality. Could be that you can create Profiles with the 30-day-demo downloadable from Onyx, but this will be Onyx 22.

Version 12 is not supported anymore, so no driver or profile downloads available anymore. You can give www.colorbase.com a try.

You can trade your RIPCenter in to get a discount on a new Postershop.

Borism25

Current Postershop (except Postershop One) and Thrive contains the ICC-Profiler. Productionhouse is not available anymore (except as an update from a legacy Productionhouse licence). RIPCenter is the lowest edition of the Onyx RIP, with the lowest functionality. Could be that you can create Profiles with the 30-day-demo downloadable from Onyx, but this will be Onyx 22.

Version 12 is not supported anymore, so no driver or profile downloads available anymore. You can give www.colorbase.com a try.

You can trade your RIPCenter in to get a discount on a new Postershop.
Thnx for the help, as I can see I can trade the V12 version but I need to add $2,295 USD, that is 30% more than I pay for the machine. On colorbase I find some profiles, but can't convert/import .OML because of this software that I have. Pretty much I am sure that OML is something like group with some information inside, and RipCenter 12 have profiles inside folder and not in OML files. So if someone can help me with importing that inside just to see if it will work.

FrankW

You can import OML-Files as follows:

Open Media Manager and click "Import-Button"
Open "Manage Printers..." in the "File" menu, click on your printer and press the button "configure", then click on the tab "Media", and there "Import".

Borism25

Under RipCenter v12 I don't have that option, and also inside folder I don't have media manager.

This is only what I have
Screenshot_44.jpg

Screenshot_45.jpg
Screenshot_46.jpg
Screenshot_47.jpg

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I'm just guessing here but are you 100% sure you didn't deselect the media manager when you installed onyx?
You have to have some way to install the medias and it sure isn't that difficult.

Borism25

Hi! I have try everything from reinstalling and upgradeing but nothing. I can't tick the box where it should be the media manager, under installation I only have profile DL.

Screenshot_19 is from the Youtube

And Screenshots 17 and 18 are from first attempt upgrading, I have also grey out area under shortcut media manager...etc. What are my options for the profiles, is it possible that someone load this through media manager, and I manually put them in respective folders. Or the only option are new rip software.

Attachments

• Screenshot_19.png
    Screenshot_19.png
    124.1 KB · Views: 148
  • Screenshot_17.png
    Screenshot_17.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 116
  • Screenshot_18.png
    Screenshot_18.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 166