• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Still doing some stuff 'Old School'

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The only time I find it easier to cut the background in around the letters is on a wall or something very large. Today's paints are basically like painting with snot. They don't have near the characteristics of the paint from years ago.

Still looks great, but sometimes I wonder...... does it really bring ya in any extra money ?? I mean, cause from 3' away, no one can tell the difference and the vinyl will most likely hold up longer.

SignosaurusRex

The only time I find it easier to cut the background in around the letters is on a wall or something very large. Today's paints are basically like painting with snot. They don't have near the characteristics of the paint from years ago.

Still looks great, but sometimes I wonder...... does it really bring ya in any extra money ?? I mean, cause from 3' away, no one can tell the difference and the vinyl will most likely hold up longer.

The reality is that I'd make a little less money in lot less time if I printed them. On the other hand, I have tons of paint and opted to use these for keeping in shape and stay indoors during crummy weekend weather. I think it was time well spent. I occasionally mentor a young up-and-comer in the trade and these were going to be a 'training' project of sorts. Unfortunately he is from another city and was not able to make the trip this time.

These signs although painted, will outlast the life of the current wrecking yard location.

Johnny Best

That would have taken much more brush work and time. Red doesn't cover worth a crap when brushed and it wouldn't have looked as clean.

Thanks for the explaination, have not used OneShot since they cleaned it up.
Do you prep your ACM before you use the lettering enamels with enamel paint or just the factory finish they have on the ACM.

Billct2

"first coat of White with a dash of Silver added" Wow, I hadn't thought of that trick in quite a while, used to know some guys who swore by it, I never really noticed an advantage, but did use it now and then.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Very nice work. Sometimes I miss hand painting- but then I remember that I did it on-site seven times out of 10 out in the Georgia heat and I don't miss it one bit!

SignosaurusRex

I remember that I did it on-site seven times out of 10 out in the Georgia heat and I don't miss it one bit!
I hear that! :thumb: I'll stick to my shop at the moment. I don't know what's worse... Fishing Vessels in the north during dead of winter or refinery and rail tanks in the summertime in the Gulf states. I think right now I'd have to go with the heat.

Last edited:

Sidney

For the 'Old School' crowd here still slinging paint... Last (2) 'Hand-Lettered' signs of the year 2017.
All 1-Shot lettering enamel on Alupanel®.
Very nice... What many don't know is that it's not a lost art, it has a lot of value and for those who are looking for hand painted artwork, will pay you well for providing it.

Kevin O'Connell

I love that you're doing this genuine article for a wrecking yard!

Hand-lettering is not a lost art! I'm being hired regularly to create "rusticated" signage in corporate spaces. Decades of experience in lettering layout and design trump digital design programs every time. Our hands are the "original digital".

Funny thing is, I get artwork for some jobs with "patina" created on the screen, and I have to explain to clients that the real way of painting a letter will be more convincing than putting in fussy little fake chip marks generated in the programs...

My favorite moment is the look on the Art Director's face when I show up with a yardstick, chalk, snap line, a pot of paint and a few brushes - Priceless!

Kevin O'Connell
www.kevinoconnell.info
The Illustrated Books of Kevin O'Connell by LettersandPictures

CapOne-Mkt-34-Layout.jpg
CapOne-Market-34.jpg