• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

store front tint removal help needed quickly

joelswork

Well, I'm shutting down a branch of citifinancial and had a problem. I have to remove all location hours and one is under the tint? Well, the client now is requiring me to remove all the tint from the store front. I need to know how and what is a fair price for removal of 300 sq ft of tint. Thanks for everything!

strypguy

Hopefully it's a good quality tint and if so will come off in one big sheet. Pick at a corner and remove the tint. This will more then likely leave some or alot of glue still on the glass. I usually just use soapy water and some fresh razor blades to remove the glue and wipe with a clean cloth.

You can use some adhesive remover if the glue is stubborn but it gets sticky and messy. The soap will give you a slippery surface and the glue will not get sticky. It should do the job.

Probably going to take a long time if they are big windows.

Big jobs like that I would complete one window and see how much time it takes and price accordingly.

John

TheSnowman

I would just price it by the hour unless you are a window tinter as well. We do busy work by the hour, we only price sign jobs.

Techman

soak it with ammonia water held in place by the old plastic sheet technique.

It will loosen the adhesive and maybe you can get it all off easier.

W

wetgravy

I was just going to say to price it by the hour. Too many things to consider for a lump pricing (age of tint, thickness, adhesive removal, etc, etc, etc) so basing your price hourly helps with all of those factors. i know that i for one would not want to be removing 10 year old tint and spend 2 days doing the job even though i priced for 1 day.

RepsolRoss

This is my first post, but I guarantee it to be a good one...

Use Formula 409! Ya know, the all purpose cleaner.

I've used it every time I've taken tint off car windows. It works almost effortlessly. Peel tint, spray 409 onto the residual adhesive, it will come right off, very little scraping.

:rock-n-roll:

kelcjo616

If it is quality film it will indeed come off in a single sheet the adhesive however will remain on the glass. I would use a steamer and most def skip the 409 and just use warm water with a few drop of baby shampoo.

Brandon708

I took tint of a business window before and I thought I was going to take forever but it came off pretty easily.

dwt

I've been tinting for 16 years, here's what you need.

1. 6" triumph scrapper with a box of replacement blades. They are quality stainless steel and wont scratch the glass unless you damage the edges of the blade.
2. box of #000 steel wool. #00 will scratch the glass and #0000 will disintegrate in tour hands.
3. bottle of orange flavored 409.
4. squirt bottle with h20 and a 1/2 teaspoon of baby shampoo.

Peel up a corner and see if it comes off in a solid sheet.
spray an area w/409 and watch it haze and sweep it off w/scraper.
rub steel wool on wet glass to take up any leftover residue.

If the film delaminates (splits into layers) STOP and go at it dry w/scraper.
You can also spray 409 on the glass and cover the wet panel with a black trash bag that has been split open to lay flat. Let it soak for 30 min to an hour and the glue will usually soften up enough to peel back the film in one sheet.

As for price.. minimum charge of 1.50 per square foot or 50-70 per hour which ever is greater.

Good Luck.

joelswork

1st post was a month ago :)

Turned out to be 200 sq ft in 1 hour plus 4 hours total drive time for $400...not to bad

dwt

Right on the money. Not bad at all!
Wish I could get my guys to work at that speed.

Stat

tint removal

I own a window tinting business so tint removal is easy(ha,ha). The method that works best is a steam machine similar to what is used to remove wallpaper. Another type of steamer, the one we use in our shop, is similar to the ones fancy suit stores use to freshen suits and dresses.

First: find a stainless steel razor blade and knife. If you use a carbon steel blade it will most likely scratch the glass.

Second: try to find an edge and run steamer over the area and start peeling. The film may come off in one big sheet if you are lucky. If it has been on the window or a long time or is cheap film it will come off in tiny pieces.

Third: Once you have the film off there will most likely be a film residue. Cheap film leaves a light film, Premium film gives you a thick film. The glue residue is water based so once again the steamer is used to soften the glue. After it is soft use the razor blade and a lot of elbow grease.

GOOD LUCK!