• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stuck on a setup step w/ brand new Gfp laminator

Bryce I

I'm Brie
Just assembled our new Gfp 350 TH. Super excited to start using it but currently stuck on a setup step. This could totally be a bonehead user error thing, many of these GFP components are new to me but I'm currently stumped. The groove doesn't line up with the opening of the cradle that the bottom supply shaft is supposed to go in. Same with the rear rewind shaft. The tongue can't get to the groove. Maybe you can adjust from the inside? I attempted to open up the side panel, which they say you should do on both sides when you get a new machine, to confirm no wires were disrupted during delivery. But on the left side, all four of the knobs for the brakes and clutch don't want to come off. In the instructional video on the Gfp site, they appear to unscrew and come right off, but these loosen, and come out so far, but the knobs won't come off, making it impossible to remove the side panel. What am I missing?
Pictures below. If my description is confusing at all, there's one pic that shows really clearly the two back cradles, the upper one with a perfectly lined up shaft, and the lower one with the issue.
Any insights or tips are super appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_4613.jpg
    IMG_4613.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 258
  • IMG_4615.jpg
    IMG_4615.jpg
    711.8 KB · Views: 135

Bryce I

I'm Brie
The outside of the cradle rotates, but the opening of the inner part of the cradle where the groove sits is only wide enough to fit the tongue of the shaft in one way, perfectly lined up. It appears that the metal groove needs to be rotated until it lines up, but I'm not trying to force it (unless that's the right way) . picture below of the cradle rotated to the open position, and 2nd picture of the cradle rotated to where the misaligned groove currently sits.

Attachments

• lam pics day 2 a.jpg
    lam pics day 2 a.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 118
  • lam pics day 2 b.jpg
    lam pics day 2 b.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 120

jfiscus

Rap Master
I replied to your other thread, this is (new) operator error I believe. ;)
Heck, ours like this has been here a year or so and I never even realized it was like this as I've never used it; I've only ever used the 563th models.

Jay Grooms

Printing, Printing, Printing......
Have a GFP also, can confirm you are not being a bonehead. Just checked mine, they don't come off.

Maybe they do, but I don't want to snap one off trying. lol.

Joe House

No need to take anything apart. Those grooves don't need to line up with the opening. Just rotate the shaft till the tab lines up. The other end is just a bearing and will slide right in.

As for removing the cover, there are two varieties of knobs there. Some have set screws that need to be removed before you can take off the handles and some don't and will just unscrew.

Bryce I

I'm Brie
Update: After getting stuck on some super basic steps, we have run some jobs through it and they look great. not comfortable with the machine yet though. These four clutch/brake knobs on the sides are completely new to me. Our old cheaper one didn't have any of that. Any tips on how those work? in one of the very limited GFP videos the tech shows how he likes to have a little "bag" between the backing and the idler bar while laminating, so it's not too tight. I saw mine was running a bit tight, so I loosened the knob for the backing takeup, and sure enough a little bag appeared. but then it grew and the backing almost started to dip too low towards the rollers. tightened it a bit, and just went back and forth a little until it leveled out. Still not really sure what is happening when turning these knobs. And insights would be appreciated.
Also: Never used a laminator with a heating assist. How does that work? the temp dial goes up to six. Is there a specific media or laminate, or room temperature, or other context that should dictate when to use heat, and what to set it to? Not a lot of info in the manual or gfp website. I want to just play around with it and try different stuff, but we also have some expensive material that needs to be laminated this week, and my confidence with this thing is just not there yet. Thanks!