• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

(Stupid?) question about white vinyl

Ripcord

I have a roll of 3M Controltac and I'm doing a two color sign in which the green must overlay the white. So the white vinyl has a white backing. With white on white you can't see the decal against the backing to line up the second color.

I ended up solving the problem by doing it on a light table, but wouldn't it make sense to put the white vinyl on a backing of another color so we can see what we're doing?

Is it just me or has anyone else had this problem? 3M no doubt knows what they are doing, so I'm thinking maybe I'm missing something.

rjssigns

Put register dots or squares in the corners of both colors. (unless I don't understand what you're doing...which is entirely possible)

Ripcord

Yes, I've been cutting registration squares. My problem is with the white registration squares against the white backing, I can't see them. Shouldn't the backing for white vinyl be a different color?

Like they said there are other choices which have different color liners.
1. But if you like the 3m why not take a sharpie and color in the reg. squares real quick on the bottom piece of vinyl. Then you can see them. OR
2. Talk to 3M about changing their product. OR
3. Cut your reg marks separate and perf cut all the way through the backer and set it on top of something colored. or
4. Use clear transfer tape.

Ripcord

1. But if you like the 3m why not take a sharpie and color in the reg. squares real quick on the bottom piece of vinyl. Then you can see them. OR
2. Talk to 3M about changing their product.
Thanks, the sharpie is a good idea. I'm going to do that! I still don't understand why the backing is white. I am going to ask someone at 3M...

It's white because 3M makes that vinyl mainly for vehicle graphics and temporary graphics, not for vinyl cutting. The only vinyl cutting it's really meant for is for decal cutting where you have no overlays.

Ripcord

It's white because 3M makes that vinyl mainly for vehicle graphics and temporary graphics, not for vinyl cutting. The only vinyl cutting it's really meant for is for decal cutting where you have no overlays.
The reason I like it is because it has the air channels to get rid of the bubbles. Is there a sign vinyl that has these channels? (When I use regular vinyl I get so many little bubbles that I can't stand looking at it...)

Mosh

Small cut letters will not stay on using that....You need to use 3M 7125 or Oracal 751. I think the 3M has a clear backing inler.

J Hill Designs

The reason I like it is because it has the air channels to get rid of the bubbles. Is there a sign vinyl that has these channels? (When I use regular vinyl I get so many little bubbles that I can't stand looking at it...)

I'd say its time to refine your application technique.

GoodPeopleFlags

I always found it better to layer the vinyl on the substrate it's going on (when possible) instead of on the backing paper first. Say you have green letters with a white outline and they're going on a window. Layering them on the backing paper first and then on the window will usually leave bubbles in the white, around the green letters. And you won't have the problem of the white backing paper.

Ripcord

I always found it better to layer the vinyl on the substrate it's going on (when possible) instead of on the backing paper first. Say you have green letters with a white outline and they're going on a window. Layering them on the backing paper first and then on the window will usually leave bubbles in the white, around the green letters. And you won't have the problem of the white backing paper.
Thanks, I'm definitely going to try this!