• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Suggestions for compressor- engraving/sand carving

GreenBlaster

Moving shops and thinking of getting a new or new to us compressor. Currently have an older LeRoi 200 gallon 10hp. It does a pretty good job but all the moving and reconnecting, plus the fact that it is supposed to be 2 or 3 phase and we run it on one and it sometimes won't shut off, all add up to us considering something new.

Need to get at least 40 CFM in real life, we already have a very decent dryer.

So 1 phase, 2 stage, 10 hp 200 gallon tank need 40 real life CFMs.

Any suggestions?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
If you have 3 phase at the new place, by all means get a rotary screw compressor capable of a minimum of 150% of your estimated consumption.

If you don't have 3 phase, some of the smaller rotary screws run single phase 220v up to about 7hp, but they top out somewhere around the mid 30 CFMs. Check with an electrician to see if a phase converter might help move toward a larger compressor.

I'm out in the boonies and don't have 3 phase, so I run off a 100 CFM tow-behind feeding a 200 gallon receiver. I typically use a 3/16" to 1/4" nozzle on a 300 lb. pot with a supplied air helmet and that's getting toward the upper limit of my CFMs.

You can never have too much air.

JB

GreenBlaster

Thanks.

We currently are running what is supposed to be a 3 phase powered old LeRoi and it has done apparently fine for over 10 years until every now and then it will get stuck on. And very recently we forgot to turn it off and it wouldn't restart so we had to get an electrician out.

Any thoughts on running a couple of smaller compressors into a larger tank?

BTW...JB what are you doing with 100 CFM? I think that would tear our mask to pieces.

James Burke

Thanks.

We currently are running what is supposed to be a 3 phase powered old LeRoi and it has done apparently fine for over 10 years until every now and then it will get stuck on. And very recently we forgot to turn it off and it wouldn't restart so we had to get an electrician out. Any thoughts on running a couple of smaller compressors into a larger tank?

BTW...JB what are you doing with 100 CFM? I think that would tear our mask to pieces.

Multiple compressors plumbed to one tank isn't a good idea. I'd go for the largest compressor I could feasibly run and match it with a suitable air receiver.

I run a 3/16" to 1/4" nozzle in my blast booth (a 20 ft shipping container) for monument and boulder work. And I run a 3/16" nozzle in my 48" x 48" Trinco blast cabinet in my shop for paver brick and river stone work.

My tow-behind compressor is 40 years old and tired, and it only puts out about 70 psi. A 3/16" nozzle consumes approx. 35 CFM and a 1/4" nozzle consumes approx. 70 CFM. Given those factors, I'm just about right with the air reserve.

I do a lot of tinkering and inventing when it comes to sandcarving, and I've been able to push the boundaries a bit when it comes to engraving depth and mask longevity.

Check out thread the thread below from earlier this summer:

https://signs101.com/threads/brick-stone-engraving.154616/#post-1441771

JB

GreenBlaster

Thinking about an Atlas Copco XAS 185 T4f tow behind. Setting it up outside and run hoses indoors...but also be able to take on site.

Any thoughts on this?

James Burke

You'll be amazed by what you can do with that much air. I run a 48 X 48 cabinet and it's not over powering with a 3/16" nozzle.

JB

GreenBlaster

I'm back. We got what seems to be a very decent Atlas Copco XAX 96. Used it once so far. Lots more moisture than our 10hp mobile rig was putting out.

wondering should I be buying some expensive refrigerated dryer, a plain old water separator, a good general purpose filter or one of the combinations?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. We are currently running 1/2 hose...also wondering what size type nozzle youd recomend to begin taking advantage of the extra cfm.

thank you!