• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions for tape to apply paper pattern to stucco in cold weather

Speedsterbeast

I've got a late season installation for Gemini sign letters next week, and we are already into below zero celcius temps ( high 20s farenheit )
Looking for a rec on a tape that might work to hold up the paper patterns temporarily to drill the stud holes. To Stucco

Thanks for reading!

unclebun

Stucco duct tape. You can get it at a paint store. We used it on our recent Gemini letter job on a stucco wall.
Don't have a picture of the taped up pattern, but it worked perfectly even though it was not only cool but windy. This was the job:
Lodge Entrance sign 1.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 2B

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Z signs beat me to it. Around here, tape is useless in the winds we got. But you can do that just as well from a paper pattern. Fasten it with big fender washers behind where a letter will sit.

Speedsterbeast

Come on... Who tapes a paper pattern to a wall for install. Glue your pattern to a piece of coro. Screw it to the wall in spots that will be hidden by a letter.
Great advice! Never tried that. Are there any concerns with the drill bit wandering through the coroplast? Also, do you do this with confidence when the pattern size exceeds one sheet and you have seems?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Great advice! Never tried that. Are there any concerns with the drill bit wandering through the coroplast? Also, do you do this with confidence when the pattern size exceeds one sheet and you have seems?
I like to use poster board. An automatic center punch does wonders for your initial strike, then use a normal center punch to set your mark deeper. I like to use to use a 3/8-16 threading tap (with a pointed end) for a center punch because they're very hard. Always use a brass mallet....never strike a tap with a steel hammer.

JB