• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

suggestions on a cutter

gbeef

thanks for the tips and advice, im now set on a cutter. im covince i can bulid a business on cutting alone. problem now is which cuttercan you guys suggest? ive been eyeing the roland GX-24 or CX-24. Is there really any big difference between the older and newer version. ? another question i have is the software i want to use is adobe illustrator, are these cutters compatible or are there any problems?

can any of you guys suggest a decent cutter that works will with adobe illustrator, sizes im looking at cutting are 24-36"cutters

thanks

ReedAerospace

Any cutter you buy, you'll want a bigger one after you start using the first one. And as far as you building a business on cutting alone, IMHO your going to get eat'n up if you try to compete in the "sign" market. Hope your planing to find a niche market to grow your business, but, every one has to start somewhere. I did it with a 12" Roland pnc900. Now we have more printers and cutters than you can shake a stick at. As far as cutting, your going to need a plug-in for you to cut straght from Illustrator.

Frxdy

I started with a 30" Roland and just cut vinyl. In one year I updated to a T750 Summa. 6 months later got a Gerber printer. You have to start somewhere! My suggestion is any brand name cutter. Graphtec, Roland, Summa, there are others. Stay away from the cheap eBay Chinese things. I think most cutters come with software to help cut from programs like Illustrater. Ask the dealer to be sure. A plug in bridge program like Co-cut is a good step up, or if your budget allows, Flexi is a dedicated sign program. Good luck in all you do!

Derf

I hate to say it but every Roland cutter I ever owned in the last 10 years is dead! I would look into the Graphtec FC series for a quality cutter or a Suma D60 for a budget cutter.

gbeef

thanks for the tips, also im not worry im not looking into the sign market. Perhapes that maybe avenue later on. I've personally been doing design work for 8 years and would like to move towards the printing side of things.

As for cutters i was interested in the GRAPHTECH 3000 and a 7000 is the performance diference to huge to justify the price tag?

Jackpine

cutters

I've had a Roland PNC1000 for 13 years and sold it still cutting great. Bought a GX-24 and hated it. Now I have a GraphTech 3000-60MK2 and love the ease and quaility. Look at SSK for some good bundled pricing.

Jackpine

cutters

The Graphtec out cuts the roland GX24. It cuts smoother. I use it to contour cut printed graphics. It is easier to setup and it cost less. I sold my GX24 and got almost all my money back. They are both good but the Graphtec is cheaper and it cuts better and easier on everything I have cut with it. The OPS contour cut ability really works with other printers. I use it with a Mutoh 36.

imaSIGNr

imaSIGNr

If you're concerned with price and still I think a good deal...Look at the Vinyl Express, Lynx / Panther cutters through Signwarehouse. The stuff works for me. I was budjet concious myself. They have several pkg. deals. I can't compare with anything else only just bought a 30" Panther 1 yr ago, and the LXi Master software( same as FlexiSign ). You don't need the Master pro if you're not printing. I may upgrade someday, but for starting out it's great. I live in small town rural setting and don't need or want the print setup. BIG dif in $$$$. Occasionally I do need a print n cut and there are people close enough that I job it out to........just a thought......imaSIGNr

WVB

SW from another post on this site will be dropping GCC altogether and having someone like Graphtec make an OEMed version for SW. SW as a whole just stinks. Do a search for them to read all the negative.

In any event like others have said try SSK they sell equipement as well as supplies. Their DesignTech is an OEMed version of Graphtec for SSK. Also looks like SSK has picked up GCC only instead of calling it Panther it is called the Jaguar. My Panther has served its purpose has done well for the money. However, if you budget can handle it stick with name brand. You can get tech support almost anywhere, parts are readily available etc. Summa, Graphtec, Roland all very good companies.

imaSIGNr

imaSIGNr

I'm not saying you're wrong Wil. I made a fairly hasty decision and wanted a pkg. and didn't haven a lot of knowledge on it and I just took a stab. I've only had it a year and I don't do a great volume of work. It's sort of a part time thing. So far it's all working and seems to be fairly user friendly. I've already thought about the service nightmare I may have to face when the time comes. I have already faced the tech support failure end of SW a few times already. Three Three days later I usually get a call. They sounded Texan, but support them if they aren't outsourcing to India.......It didn't take long to feel the neg. vibe towards SW here. I'll try not to offend anyone. I'm probably gona hear," I told ya so " at some point....peace:peace!: imaSIGNr

S

signs

Hello, I used a Roland PNC 900 for 10 years and never replaced any part on it in that time period, (except for cutting blades.) Best Plotter I've ever used. Used it with Casmate for DOS. Wish I still had it especially for it's tracking quality.