• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa Cutter Control 5.10.0.10 and Flexi 21 connection confict

natallica

Graphics Guru
Hey guys, we just recently picked up an S2160T OPOSCAM and we run Flexi 21 Subscription primarily.
If they are both running for a few minutes eventually Cutter Control keeps saying "No Machine Connected" and I have to close Flexi21 Production Manager to get the connection back. Then reopen and send the cut job.
As an aside I also keep getting this on screen error (see pic)

Any ideas?

Thx in advance
-N8

Attachments

• 20210909_143231.jpg
    20210909_143231.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 445

Dale D

Im guessing you have your cutter hooked up through ethernet ports as I do with my S2160. It may be an issue with routing. I have had that issue after a storm and reset my router, and my problem went away. For some reason, after a power outage, it dropped the ip address and wouldnt pick it back up is what was told in my situation. I know your issue is slightly different, but hopefully it points you in the right direction.

natallica

Graphics Guru
Im guessing you have your cutter hooked up through ethernet ports as I do with my S2160. It may be an issue with routing. I have had that issue after a storm and reset my router, and my problem went away. For some reason, after a power outage, it dropped the ip address and wouldnt pick it back up is what was told in my situation. I know your issue is slightly different, but hopefully it points you in the right direction.
Thanks for the tip, but it is connected via USB (Port 1).

gabagoo

How about continuing to run 19. I was told by the guys who sold mt my new Summa that version 21 has issues. That's all I had to hear, so I continue on 19

Snydo

CAM units require USB.....You can ignore the error message it's a false flag.
Try using PM as your barcode server, Cutter Control must be open in the background, verify your camera is getting a picture(Actions/Camera Control) and you should be good to go.
The CAM machines can be finicky, I feel it's mostly caused by Windows poor management of USB resources.

Last edited:

Snydo

How about continuing to run 19. I was told by the guys who sold mt my new Summa that version 21 has issues. That's all I had to hear, so I continue on 19
I'm currently running 21, it has the exact same issues that 19 had as far as CAM machines are concerned.

Dale D

CAM units require USB.....You can ignore the error message it's a false flag.
Try using PM as your barcode server, Cutter Control must be open in the background, verify your camera is getting a picture(Actions/Camera Control) and you should be good to go.
The CAM machines can be finicky, I feel it's mostly caused by Windows poor management of USB resources.
I never stated it can be done without usb.

I am running Flexi 21 with a Summa S275 and a S2160 Opos and have NO issues. (Except 1 or 2 power outages that I discussed earlier)
I have my 160 connected by ethernet and the usb both connected. PM sees both machines with ip addresses and Cutter control sees the USB connected for the Opos camera. Yes you have to leave open Summa cutter control as well as PM.
This set up has been working great for me.

Last edited:

natallica

Graphics Guru
Summa Tech Support just reached out... here's their reply:

"Summa Cutter Control ( SCC ) is reporting that the cutter is not compatible because Flexi is a communication hog.
Once Flexi opens a communication port with the cutter, it never closes it. If you try to operate SCC while Flexi is open, there will be communication issues like this one."

"The workaround is making sure that the "Barcode Server" within SAi Flexi is turned off before using SCC to communicate with cutter.
I'm not sure how to do this, but I know there is a setting within the software.
Or simply close all modules of Flexi, make changes with SCC, then, once you are finished using SCC, run Flexi again."

"I didn't notice, you have a cutter with an OPOS-CAM camera sensor for barcode and registration mark detection. You have to make sure that Summa Cutter Control ( SCC ) establishes communication with cutter and makes the OPOS-CAM module available before ever initializing SAi Flexi.
If communication with the OPOS-CAM module of SCC stops, you have to do as described previously, turn off Flexi Barcode Server or close Flexi completely, re-establish communication with SCC and then execute Flexi."

Hopefully this info can help someone with similar issues.

-N8

Dale D

I do not use the barcode. I use the Opos XY for registration in program for my print then cuts. That was how the old owner did it and I continued. Summa Cutter control sits to the side (I have 4 monitors) with OPOS CAM green under the status.The way mine is set up is If I cut/plot Flexi does not use Summa cutter control at all on my set up. Its only when I cut/contour it goes through Summa cutter. All I know is the way I have it set up right now is working now as well as I was a beta tester for about 5-6 months before 21 launched.