• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SUMMA D140 HELP

Need some serious help. under the gun and I can not figure out what the problem is with our D140. Cutting a job that is segmented into 10 18" sections. Reading the XY not using the OPUS barcode. It will go through the first few segments, then not read the registration marks. Will unroll and reroll rotate the cut and will have same issue in a new segment. Sensor strip does not appear to damaged. Cleaned all sensors, put in new blade, ran opus calibration, ran media calibration. Any ideas out there?

Sean@CedarHouse

Printing Money
I think your mark is moving outside the pinch roller. Your pinch rollers on the outside need to be outside of your reg marks. That's what happens to me when I get that error.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Good afternoon,

I would agree with Sean that you should move your pinch rollers outside the registration marks and closer to the edge of your media. In the video it appears the rollers are a couple inches from each edge and usually you will want to set those about a half inch from each edge. If you plan on leaving the rollers in the same position with the marks outside the rollers then you will want to turn on the extended load feature so the cutting head moves far enough over to detect all the marks in the job.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112
philj@airmark.com

Thanks Sean & Phil. I reprinted the jobs and still failing on the 4th panel. What am I missing? Could the sensor be going bad?

Attachments

• IMG_0475.jpg
    IMG_0475.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 178

Sean@CedarHouse

Printing Money
Thanks Sean & Phil. I reprinted the jobs and still failing on the 4th panel. What am I missing? Could the sensor be going bad?
Are you putting the blade over the reg mark? Is it not reading the mark at all? You might clean the sensor with something soft and clean (no liquid needed) to see if there is something there, although if it's reading the first few panels and not the 4th then I'm still thinking it's an alignment issue and the pinch rollers are too close to the reg mark.

Yes the blade is over the registration mark. It is sporadic, it will read the registration marks then stop reading the registration marks on a random panel. I spoke with 2 summa techs this week about it and I quote from both "we have not seen this issue before, we suggest cleaning the camera, sensors, drive wheels, run OPUS calibrations and media calibrations. Then try again". I moved the pinch rollers outside the registration marks between roughly .5" - .75" from the edge of the substrate per Phil's suggestion. And it failed 4 times on the 5th attempt it cut the entire job without failure. No setting changed, just kept re-cutting. Frustrating to say the least because it is costing me tons of time and money, with miss cuts and reprints. Could the camera assembly be shorting out or going bad? That is what I am leaning to right now.

Sean@CedarHouse

Printing Money
Oh man that sounds so frustrating! There is an adjustment for the sensor. Mine is under OPOS menu. This has happened to me on some very glossy, chrome, reflective materials but my work around is scotch tape. Matte finishes seem to make it work better. Maybe Phil has more suggestions.

chester215

Just call me Chester.
When ours is not reading the registration marks it is usually because a bump in the vinyl pushes the opus sensor up and it will not read, we just manually push down on the small tab that sticks out of the sensor so the sensor is in contact with the vinyl and have it try again.

Sean@CedarHouse

Printing Money
When ours is not reading the registration marks it is usually because a bump in the vinyl pushes the opus sensor up and it will not read, we just manually push down on the small tab that sticks out of the sensor so the sensor is in contact with the vinyl and have it try again.
Oh yeah! I forgot that has happened to me too. Good call.

Spoke with someone near me today that had similar issues with this on his F series 1612. He was having registration issues and misreading of OPUS marks out of the blue like I am experiencing. He was running windows 7, like I am. Upgraded to windows 10 and the issues went away. Going to try that and update next week. Time for a cold one after this week

Update on the D140 issues I was experiencing. Had to take a few jobs to a guy near me that has an F1612, great machine and a huge help. With my D140, stumbled on the OPOS sensitivity. Last operator had it turned up over 100. Turned it back down to 60, recalibrated. Ran 1 job in sheeting mode and went back to paneling today. So far so good...